rMBP vs iMac w/SSD - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JGF0x, Jul 5, 2012.

1. JGF0x, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

JGF0x macrumors member

I know this isn't really a direct comparison as they're both two machines built for different purposes but I was curious to know what you would all recommend. I plan to edit videos using Final Cut X, Motion/After Effects etc. and edit photos with Lightroom 4 (18 MP from a 60D.) Outside of that, I'll just be doing standard lifestyle stuff (web, word processing etc.)

I currently have a 2.6/16/512 rMBP on order with mid-July delivery but I'm wondering if I should cancel and just order a 27" iMac 3.4 i7/16/256 SSD + 2 TB HDD with 2 GB video card.

I don't need the portability of the rMBP as I have the new iPad to display content and a Mac Pro at work. They both come in at about the same price. Recommendations?

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

rMBP seems like it might hold its value better compared to the iMac.

3. 300DDR macrumors member

300DDR

Given this ^^^ I think you'll LOVE the 27" iMac screen size. Or… get the rmbp and buy a larger display to connect to it. That way you can see things "big" but also use the retina display to see things as clearly as possible.

Although… I just saw this (retina iMacs could arrive in Oct): http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/pre...Could-Arrive-in-October-Report-161448045.html

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Well seeing that there could be new iMacs maybe this October or by next June, I would wait. But i do suggest getting an iMac instead of a 15" retina if you don't care about portability.

If you're doing editing the more screen real estate the better. The iMac is also much more customizable and cheaper as well.

But once again, rumors are out of a retina iMac for this October.....so it's up to you.

5. JGF0x thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help guys. I lost my MacBook Air to a very stupid water accident in May so I've been trying to live with the new iPad as my only means of web access and photo editing at home. Snapseed helps but obviously a real computer is better.

I do wish I could get a refurb iMac with ssd but they seem to be few and far. I had also considered getting a large monitor and mounting an AppleTV to the back so I could stream the desktop via the rMBP but that's an expensive (dream) setup.