rMBP vs MBA 2012...I picked MBA!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by christophermdia, Jun 17, 2012.

1. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Well, sold off my MBA 2011, then stressed over the rMBP vs MBA...I really really want the rMBP, however, just being practical....the MBA makes more sense...I really wanted the 512 ssd, at least the 8gb ram...so the upgrade is worth it to me....the rMBP was a really nice proposition, but even the 13 gets in the way of a folded down airplane seat...my current MBA does everything I need it to except im a data pack rat...the more data space the better!

2. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

those damn express jets (CRJs, ERJs) that all carriers are using now to save money are SUCH a pain for laptops. none of my laptops fit on the fold down tray now. just my iPad lol

3. ApplePu macrumors regular

same here....had the rmbp on order, cancelled it and am now waiting for my ultimate mba....much more bang for the buck....and tiny too :)

4. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Awaiting the arrival of my 11" 1.7/8/128 tomorrow morning, I headed to the Apple store today and played with a rMBP for an hour.

Prior to my current 2k10 11" I had an early 2k8 15" MBP and thought maybe I should give a larger laptop a chance again. Despite the (relatively) lighter weight, screen that can scale to 1920 x 1200, better battery, it's just a... large machine. I'm spoilt by the ergonomics of a computer that is hardly there - 90% of the time the computer is in my lap, and I go like this for hours on end. Oh well, $1k saved I guess. The rMBP is truly impressive though.

5. tannyboy macrumors newbie

Exact same here.

went the 11 incher, also my partner has a say in it - she's travelling to europe for a few weeks and wanted a light machine to take with her. Rather than buy two laptops. rMBP and a MBA - just spec'd up the MBA (not the hard drive though).

Considering im upgrading from a '08 MBP 15' i think i'll enjoy the speed bump. Screen estate not too much of a drama - have a 24 inch dell at home to plug it into.

I forsee the iPad being used less though. :D

6. aleni macrumors 68020

Im getting the 13" ultimate too when it's released in my country.

This is the first mba that will be powerful enough to do my tshirt design works. The previous is powerfull too, but the lack of ram sometimes annoyed me.

Thanks god now 8gb is available!

7. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Actually the iPad can be formidable companion - I use it often at an extra display. I use it primarily in HiDP, but sometimes native when proofing website work.

8. KohPhiPhi, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

The thing is that someone in the market for a MBA (ultra-portable laptop) should not really consider the RMBP (a desktop replacement). The RMBP's huge 15.6" footprint makes him a poor mobile solution. It's just too big, which requires a big carry bag, hardly usable in an airplane, etc. All in all, while it's a light laptop, it's too big to be considered a mobile laptop.

If mobility is a priority for you, the MBA is the only way to go (since Apple gimped the 2012 MBP 13" again)

9. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Which is why I fly AirTran. They only have 747 and 757s.

10. dona83 macrumors 6502

But with IPS you'd have good viewing angles, so you could just keep it folded downward. lol. :eek:

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs