rmbp vs mba

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tenganis, Nov 16, 2013.

1. tenganis, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

tenganis macrumors member

Hello,

I am new with posting here and would love your help with my dilemma! I know there are many threads of this type but I would love your advice in deciding which macbook to buy (I'd like to keep it 3-4 years). In all cases, I will be buying a 1TB external hard drive (to store videos- see below).

- refurbished 13 inch MBA 4gb/128gb for $929 - such a good price!
    - MBA 8gb/128gb for $1139 w/ student discount- 8gb RAM is more future-proof
    - base RMBP (4gb/128gb) for $1199 with student discount - love the retina display!

I am a grad student and will be using the computer to write papers, have lots of PDF documents +MS word+ MS office+ refworks all open at the same time, watch Netflix, and for light video editing for my dissertation (I won't be editing much but I will be needing to burn lots of DVDs/transfer lots of videos to the external hard drive). I currently have a 2009 White Macbook with 2gb RAM and 160 memory, and I hate the lag when scrolling through PDF documents with other programs open. My gf has a 2010 Imac with 4gb RAM. Burning videos on her IMac goes pretty well, although I find that the process could go smoother.

I'd love to get the mid RMBP (8gb/256gb) but it is a bit more expensive than I can afford, and it might be too much for what I need?

I love the idea of getting a retina screen, but like the price of the refurbished MBA. The lack of lag is also really important to me and I heard the 13'' RMBP has lag.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :).

2. hawon macrumors member

go with MBA. It should be more than adequate to do all you want to do. MBA's battery life is amazing.

3. tenganis, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

tenganis thread starter macrumors member

Which MBA? The 8gb or the 4gb? Would 8gb help avoid lag/beach ball when having multiple applications open?

Thank you for the advice! :)

4. hawon macrumors member

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If you don't have a strong aversion to the MBA screen like some people do (vs the rMBP), then this is the model I recommend you get. It'll handle all your tasks very nicely and that 8gb RAM will provide some good future proofing.

6. tenganis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I am actually surprised to get both of you to recommend the MBA on the Macbook Pro Forum but that's makes me think the MBA must truly be my best bet!

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

It was mostly the RAM that made me suggest the MBA for you (I know Mavericks handles RAM a little better than past versions of OS X, but idk if that'll be the same in the future). Apart from the screen, for your uses I don't think you would notice much of a performance difference between the Air and the Pro.

8. neteng101 macrumors 65816

If you can afford it go for the $1499 (should be $13xx after edu discount?) 13" rMBP. If not, the 8GB MBA is a good option too.

I'd ignore the delusional claims of terrible lag on the rMBP made by the MBA crowd, but you do want to get 8GB now for sure.

9. tenganis thread starter macrumors member

Would you recommend the RMBP 8gb/256gb for 1399 over the MBA 8gb/128gb for 1139? Would the 260 dollars price difference be worth it for the nice screen and additional storage (if I can afford the extra cash)?

10. isephmusic macrumors 6502

cant see where a macbook air is better than the macbook pro. they almost just as light, gorgeous screen and not using underclocked ULV intel processors

11. daudi81 macrumors regular

MBP does not have lag. Where are you getting that from? Either way, I think the slight increase in weight over the MBA is a good trade off for much better screen and faster all around system. The new MBAs weren't fast enough for me, and would slow down doing certain things for work. The new 13 MBP chugged through the same tasks with ease. I ended up getting the 15 just because I wanted the bigger screen and graphics boost....but I did have the 13 for a few days, as well as the 8gb Air. Battery on the MBA isn't as noticeable difference as some make it out to be either. Both laptops get you through a full workday on battery either way. If you need the extra hour of battery and the extra 1lb is going to break your back, the MBA is an excellent choice too, just depends what's important to you. Screen alone is enough reason for me...but you may not care about that as much.

----------

Where are you reading about the lag, just curious. I have the 15, but used the 13 quite a bit as well and never noticed even the slightest hiccup. Coworker has the 13 as well and he's never complained once...and believe me he is the type that would.

12. tenganis thread starter macrumors member

There are several post on this forum and others (http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=35718397) that discuss IR lag. But it sounds like it does not happen to everyone!

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If you can afford it, then definitely the 8gb/256gb rMBP. In addition to the better screen, you'll also be getting better graphics and the "full" i5 processor (I use the term loosely because while the MBA also has a regular i5, it is low voltage meaning it's very slightly less powerful but in exchange more power efficient). I was originally only choosing from the three options you listed, which is why I didn't suggest this model. As for IR or lag while scrolling, I haven't experienced any on my rMBP during regular use and I'm also running the resolution scaled to 1440x900 (some people say running a scaled resolution increases the chances of lag).

14. Fulanito macrumors newbie

Fulanito

I'm going for the rMBP cause I love the retina display, otherwise I'll buy a MBA. I tried rMBP and I didn't notice anything that wasn't acceptable or couldn't be regarded as normal.

About RAM, nobody knows what will happen. I keep my computers until they die o can't work with them, so I'm still deciding between 8 and 16 gb, but I'll probably get 8. (As i have a Macbook 2007 which will need to be replaced in maybe 2 years)

In 3 years and your use maybe even 4gb will be enough.

15. tenganis thread starter macrumors member

Looks like I might put in the extra money then :) Thank you for the help!

16. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

If you had posted this question on the Air subforum instead, you would be hearing a very different tune.

17. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I too asked myself this question before making my purchase this October.

I ended up going with the rMBP 15 inch because

1.I honestly like the bigger screen and screen real estate
    and
    2.The retina screen really pops
    3.It's not that much bulkier than the air, and definitely not much heavier. I actually prefer the design of the MBP over the air

These are my personal reasons why I got the rMBP, but you really need to decide what will work best for your needs.

18. tenganis thread starter macrumors member

I did post it on the Air Subforum, and got 1 response in favor of the air and 1 in favor of the retina :)

----------

Thanks! I would LOVE to get the 15 inch, but it is way out of my price range, and probably more than I need (I am already thinking that the mid (8gb/256gb) rMBP might be more than I need). The 13 inch rMBP seems like a good compromise though!