rMBP vs. MBP 2010 for programming, research and publication

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jul 20, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I have a MBP 2010 17" (resolution 1920x1200, i7 2.66GHz). I use it for research (matlab), software development and research publications (latex, illustrator, photoshop, premiere). I am considering whether or not to buy the high-end model of the rMBP to replace my current computer.

I found the resolution and the screen size of my MBP 2010 comfortable to work with. However, with a protective bag and other stuffs, it is heavy for me to carry around. I know that the rMBP has higher resolution but the max screen size is only 15". Are the characters going to be more difficult, smaller to read? I also read that except software from Apple, the rest of the applications look very bad on the retina screen. Under Windows 7 bootcamp, will I see these issues? Thanks.

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

yes you will see those issues in windows 7. and yes adobe applications on RMBP currently look bad.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the tips. How come such issues also appear under Windows 7? I recall reading somewhere that there should be no problem as Windows 7 can scale to different resolutions. Do you mean the bootcamp driver is not good enough to do that?

Anybody knows when adobe, matlab and office applications will look normal?

4. Drask macrumors regular

So far I read windows does look better at native resolution, there are several video on youtube about retina and windows where windows looks amazing.

But to be honest if I had a 2010 I wouldn't upgrade until next gen.

5. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

Windows works fine because it has a higher degree of resolution independence. Just go into the dpi scaling menu and turn it to 200% and you will enjoy not only the increased screen real estate but also crisp assets (albiet some will be very small).