rMBP w/ Dead Pixels and Crack

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jacklacey1, Dec 16, 2012.

1. jacklacey1 macrumors newbie

Alright, so here's the deal... I'm working with a Retina 15" MacBook Pro, and I have about 9 dead pixels. This is truly a shame because it is already my second screen. The first week I bought this machine, my cat may have knocked it off my bed and shattered the screen. But thats another story. I was more than happy to replace the screen, and sure enough when I got it back, Everything worked fine. And then within about 10 days, a couple dead pixels started to show up. I didnt think much of it, until about 5 more popped up. By this time i was out of my return period and these dead pixels were bugging the stew outta me. Sure enough, I do some research to find that I am stuck with the crappy LG version of the retina display. So i decide to make an appointment the next day at my local apple store to see what they can do. I have heard of some people getting there screens replaced and even someone writing a letter to apple asking for a replacement because there local retailer did nothing about it. Sure enough, that night, I tilt my screen from the bottom left hand corner, and CRACK! about a one inch crack is now running through the bottom left corner upward, and it is cutting off about an inch on the left and bottom side of my screen(glitchy lines of pixels) I was so livid, i just went to bed. The next afternoon was my appointment. Wait the usual hour to be taken care of, and i get a quick "there is external damage to the place you are wanting to replace, so we can replace it, but for a small fee" Absolute horse ****, havent dropped it once, and had that appointment for the dead pixels, not my crack. They refused to help me without me paying them, so i left. If you guys have any suggestions, PLEASE help me. Im not dropping another 1300 bucks to fix my screen for being handed the short end of the stick by having an LG display. BTW, sorry that was such a long post. PLEASE HELP

2. racer1441 macrumors 68000

So, you cracked it, your cat dumped it, and Apple should repair it for free.:rolleyes:

3. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Dude, not much you can do except go to a different apple store, and explain what happened. Not an apple retailer - the genius bar at the apple store. And explain, step by step what happened. About all the dead pixels, you got an apt to change it - they said they would, but then your cat knocked it off your bed.

Tell them the truth, they're people too.

4. jacklacey1 thread starter macrumors newbie

no no no, my cat dumped it like 2 months ago, and i got it replaced, This is my new screen

----------

I will try that, but my cat did not knock it off my bed this time. That was about two months ago, and i already got it replaced. Now with the new screen, I legitimately cracked it by adjusting the tilt of my screen.

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Sorry but screens do not crack on their own accord and suddenly appear. You may not have realised it at the time, but it will have happened due to some sort of impact damage.

You cannot expect any manufacturer to replace something they did not cause. Yes the defect appeared first but as soon as any acc dam appears on the same part before they have seen the original defect, the warranty is going to be null and void.

6. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Expensive toys

When your cat knocked it off the bed it may have caused other internal damages and top case damages. They can replace your screen but maybe the cover top case couldn't hold the display / LCD in place?

People gotta baby these things because buying Apple comes with a double edged sword :)

7. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Seriously man you need to take care of your expensive toys. I can never understand how and why ppl treat there investments like this. It never seem to amaze me sometimes. Anyhow go to another Apple store and give them a legit story how it cracked thats all you can do.