rMBP wake from sleep time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomnut, Jul 1, 2012.

1. randomnut macrumors member

Just wondering what everyone is getting for time for their rMBP to wake from sleep?

Mine is quite disappointing really. From opening the lid it can take 20-30 seconds to get to a state where it is usable. My old windows machine with traditional HDD takes half that time :/

I have barely anything installed so I am not sure why it takes so long for this machine with SSD to take from sleep.

Can anyone confirm if wake times are any better in Mountain Lion?

2. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

Not got mountain lion but agree the wake up time is slow. I tend to hit the spacebar to wake it up. I'm sure this will be fixed soon though.

3. randomnut thread starter macrumors member

I'm kind of in two minds about it, in that if this is something which can be patched or is fixed in ML then it really is shambolic that this hardware was released whilst the software was woefully ill-equipped to handle it.

On the other hand if this isn't patchable, then it's not really fair to be boasting about all the speed increases this machine has because of the use of SSD if its wake from sleep time is longer than a 2 year old windows machine with HDD.

Definitely seems like they rushed this out, it's certainly not as ready as it should have been.

4. doh123 macrumors 65816

what? Maybe there is some software you have installed causing problems? my rMBP wakes up in about 1 second or so.

5. jwhite878 macrumors regular

I have also noticed this. Sometimes it's instant, but sometimes it can take about 5 seconds. For me, it's not a huge annoyance, and it will probably be fixed in ML.

6. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Was instant for me, then I enabled FireVault and now it's pretty slow, something like 5-10 seconds, then you need to type your pw, so it feels slow.

7. randomnut thread starter macrumors member

By way of additional software I only have Office 11, Spotify, Civ V, Steam and Dropbox installed so far, but waking from sleep was taking a long time even before they were installed. The longest it seems to take is around 30 seconds, but it is not always that long. Sometimes it is 10-15 secs, but usually longer. There is no set pattern, but it is still unacceptable for a £2k machine with an SSD.

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

9. randomnut thread starter macrumors member

I've had it for around 13 days now so I don't think it's still indexing. Wish it was that simple!

10. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Did you run an extended Apple Hardware Test while plugged into the power source?

11. Bholifield49012 macrumors newbie

My retina is almost instant. I can be running Microsoft Office or iWork and have Aperture open then close the lid for a few hours and when I wake it is almost instant.

12. leenak macrumors 68020

Ok just tested this. Closed lid, went and washed dishes, started some dinner prep, came back, open lid and I got the login screen immediately.

13. golu14 macrumors regular

mine is super fast, I'm not done yet opening the lid and its up!

14. doh123 macrumors 65816

Some things I'd test if mine was ha ing the issue, just to see if there is an impact.

This is stuff just for testing to see if it makes a change... not for a fix.
    • Disable the screen saver and see if its any different
    • In power options disable the "put hard drive to sleep when possible" check box
    • Go in system preferences to Startup Disk and re-select the correct volume (even if you only have one)
    • Make sure all other apps are closed completely (not just closed windows, but really not running), and see if anything changes
    • check if anything happens differently if you have an external monitor and/or keyboard and/or mouse
    • reset the SMC
    • reset the pram

15. dailybibliotaph, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

dailybibliotaph macrumors member

It shouldn't be taking that long, regardless of whether you're running Lion. I'm running 10.7.4 with all updates and mine has always been instant on from sleep. Here's a link to a youtube video of it's time - this one btw is actually kind of on the slow side for it. http://youtu.be/u2DliEtnb0M

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

If its anything like the Air, there are two different types of sleep. One resumes very quickly. The other, which seems to happen after the computer has been asleep for an hour or longer, takes significantly longer to wake from, especially the more RAM you have.

Reminds me of sleep vs hibernate on Windows laptops.

17. albert1028 macrumors 6502

This is a good list of things to go through! Thanks!

For me, my awaking from sleep issues resolved when I unchecked the "put the hard drive to sleep when possible". Fingers crossed, so far so good.

18. vanc macrumors 6502

I'm running Mountain Lion DP4 (I'm a developer, BTW). Wake up time is slower than my mid 2009 MBP (with Snow Leopard).

ML is not finalized. So I believe it would be fixed in GM.

19. Tora Shin macrumors newbie

That's a bummer. I was hoping ML would remove the delay on my 2011 MBP (with SSD) It's meant to be released soon so I doubt they'll fix it now :(

20. Akovitch macrumors newbie

Problem solved?

After many telephone calls and Genius Bar visit, they were able to trace this wake-up problem to an issue with web-sharing. I turned web sharing off in the preference/sharing and that has finally resolved this issue... A future upgrade should solve the problem most likely...