rMBP wakes from sleep when plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by s4yunkim, Aug 5, 2012.

1. s4yunkim macrumors regular

Does anyone else have this experience? I have my rMBP sleeping on my desk, lid closed, and sometimes (not every time), when I plug in the power adapter the apple lights up, and I open the lid to find the computer awake....
    (Closing the lid again will put it back to sleep)

I've tried resetting the PRAM, and installing OSX, but it still seems to happen. I've also run a hardware test and nothing comes up. Any ideas?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If I remember correctly that is typical behavior on every laptop I have owned. So it comes to live.....it will go back to sleep again when it reaches the timer values for no activity and/or the top is closed.

3. s4yunkim thread starter macrumors regular

Hm... weird. I suppose that it will go back to sleep after a while, but I've actually noticed the opposite on all my apple laptops (never wakes up when power is plugged in)...

Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

Anyone else experience this?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have a 2012 MBA and before that a 2011 MBP and neither wakes up like that when I attach the Magsafe charger.

5. wethackrey macrumors 6502

Mine does not behave this way. I'd be interested to know what your "Enable Power Nap..." settings are.

6. s4yunkim thread starter macrumors regular

Here are what my settings are:

Although I think this also happened once before the firmware update was released.... (I'm not 100% sure though)

Attached Files:

7. s4yunkim thread starter macrumors regular

Just curious... is the computer supposed to wake from sleep (screen turns on, system becomes active) while updating via power nap? I thought it was supposed to do it's think while sleeping... as in you don't even know it's on..?

Attached Files:

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have power nap on with the same settings you do and my 2012 MBA does not come on like yours is.

Nope... it is supposed to keep the screen off while doing its periodic power nap updates.

9. piii666 macrumors newbie

Check my post here - describes the conversation I had with Apple support on this issue:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/21732754#21732754

10. FlorisVR macrumors newbie

What might be the problem is that you have Internet Sharing turned on. System Preferences, Sharing. Because then it only shares the internet, and thus wakes your computer, when the charger is plugged in.

11. piii666, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

piii666 macrumors newbie

No sharing is turned on - the macbook wakes up and goes to sleep after 5-10 seconds or so. My guess is that they (Apple) wanted to log when power adapter is attached / detached and they need to briefly awake the machine for it. The second guess is that macbook goes from suspend to deep sleep (i.e. hibernating, ie writing RAM content into file).