rMBP Warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by protzy09, Jun 13, 2013.

1. protzy09 macrumors newbie

I'm going to be buying a 15" rmbp with 16 gb ram and 512 gb flash since the flash can be updated later. There is a $239 warranty that extends it to 3 years instead of the original one. Is this worth buying?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

In my opinion, a resounding yes, but it depends on how long you want to keep it.

3. protzy09 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

upgrading anything inside the rMBP will void the warranty though.

6. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Also depends on where you are. In the US, definitely. In much of Europe I understand you get two years usually (although Apple don't tell you this of course). In the UK it's more than a year but a bit woolly around the edges and depends on how well you can argue your case. In Australia I believe you get two also (not certain though). In NZ it's not worth it as three years is no more cover over the standard guarantee you get with any new product. I don't know about other countries.

7. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I absolutely agree with the need to purchase the extended warranty. The rMBP is by far the least repairable machine out there and if you plan on keeping it until it dies, then yes absolutely get it. You'll be glad you did.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also the 512GB is the largest third-party upgrade available for the MacBook Pro (OWC makes a 480GB SSD which is technically a 512GB SSD with around 7% overprovisioning). Based on the new MacBook Air, the next MacBook Pro's parts will not be compatible with the existing generation of products, so I doubt you'll see anything larger than 512GB for sale (apart from the 768GB, the 768GB upgrade that's only available from Apple, so you probably can't get one unless it's a system pull).

All that said, I would definitely get the AppleCare for the peace of mind more than anything else. Do be warned it does not cover accidental damage, so be sure to purchase additional protection if you often break your computers and such in accidents.

$240 is student pricing.

9. bkribbs macrumors 65816

10. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Based on what I've seen the only possible upgradable part is the storage, and it could be that it isnt. RAM appears to be soldered on.

11. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Can't the warranty be purchased at any time?

12. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

13. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I'll save that one link but let me clarify.

I am buying a refurb'd rMBP.

Can I buy applecare for 239 with the student discount? ie are these two transactions unrelated? (Since I'm not using student discount for rMBP can I for applecare for the rMBP? )

14. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I don't think you can use that student discount with third party resellers like B&H, you have to go through Apple. You probably want to ask Apple directly, though.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you buy a refurbished computer from Apple and you're a student, and you want to buy it preregistered, then no you cannot buy it for the discounted price.

But you make it into two separate transactions, like buying the computer off the refurbished store and later go back and buy the AppleCare separately, you can buy it at the student price.

Heck, sometimes you don't even need to be a student to get the discount if you ask nice enough.

16. bkribbs macrumors 65816

That's what I wanted to know! Thanks!

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

It "could" be upgraded, but Apple can void your warranty for doing so since there are no user upgrades allowed.

18. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

BS. The SSD is a removable part and so it is subject to the same warranty conditions as any other laptop (MMWA in the US, or similar warranty acts elsewhere). If you are going to spread false information, at least try and appear respectable and provide some sources for us to refute.

19. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Really? And the fact that they use screws that next to impossible to get a screwdriver for doesn't mean anything? They don't use those screws for cost savings, they use them to prevent you from opening the machine.

20. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Legally, that is correct. That fact is irrelevant regarding the terms and conditions of the warranty. They can try and disincentivize you as much as they like, they still have to honor the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.