rMBP web browser while using 1920 x 1200

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appletechpro, Jul 31, 2012.

1. appletechpro macrumors regular

I have my Mac set to the most space possible via System Preferences (1920 x 1200?).

Anyway, does it matter which web browser I use? Right now I am using the std. version of Google Chrome.

I know people have been talking about "scaling", lag and all this hubbub, but I'm wondering if you'll only have issues with a browser when using the full 2880x1800?

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Not sure it makes a difference which browser you use, but I know that there were some settings in chrome that were causing kernel panics for some users. Not sure if they fixed that issue yet. The issues started around a month ago.

I have had a great experience with safari so far with the rMBP. Since getting a mac 4 years ago, I have used google chrome, firefox, a browser called Stainless and a few other developmental browsers and have always come back to safari as my main browser. Not sure what it is but I just like it better than the others.

3. appletechpro thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, that was informative.

I think Safari has a lot to offer, but I'm not yet confident enough in its inherent security, and I hate that I can't add Stumbleupon toolbar to it. :p

4. theAXEDhead macrumors member

New version of Chrome

Just started using the latest version of Chrome (v.21, stable version), and it is very fast. Clearly better than Safari now.

5. stevelam macrumors 65816

wow are you kidding me? you're just using regular chrome? you do realize its not retina-enabled right?

6. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

i was a devout chrome user but i think safari finally has them beat this round anyway.

safari is way smoother and i think a little faster

7. stevelam macrumors 65816

Safari is definitely smoother than the current beta of chrome. Mainly because google had to temporarily disable hardware acceleration due to instability.

8. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

ahh didnt know that...i thought the version i just downloaded was the new stable version.

9. lotorus macrumors newbie

I had been using the canary version of chrome and it was awesome until mountain lion. Now I'm having a ridiculous amount of redraw problems. Switched over to the latest dev build of Chrome, which fixes that problem, but has a lot of JS and ajax issues. Facebook is pretty much useless with it. No problems with Safari, but I prefer Chrome. Will just have to wait until an official stable update of chrome is released that is retina compatible.