rMBP weight...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bill-p, Sep 12, 2012.

?

Do you appreciate the lighter and thinner rMBP?

1. Yes

126 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. bill-p macrumors 65816

Over the last two weeks of ownership, I have noticed a substantial drop in carrying weight. I thought 1 pound wouldn't be noticeable, but it was.

In fact, I constantly checked my bag to make sure I didn't leave the computer on my desk at home... or on a random table elsewhere. I could not perceive the device at all. It was like it wasn't even in my bag at times.

The screen is nice, and so is the performance. But I think the weight and slim profile of the rMBP take the cake. Anyone with me?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Worthless post imo, but yes I agree.

3. CFoss macrumors 6502

Why would anyone prefer the extra weight? In most cases, lighter is better. The only disadvantage of a lighter computer that I can think of is that it might shuffle around a desk if it's too light.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

The only reason I would hate light model is because they would have to cut off on some specs like the Air.

But the retina MBP didnt do that so Im glad.
    If they fix all those glitches, I might consider buying it again.

5. bill-p thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess I didn't make it clear enough.

I'm actually asking whether you enjoy your rMBP more due to its slimmer profile and lighter weight, or more due to something else.

It's obvious Apple could have made a thicker and heavier rMBP, and some of us would still purchase it.

Basically: is light/thin > everything else to you or is it Retina > everything else or is it performance > everything else or... is it a combination of any of the above?

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yeah, I highly doubt that Apple was going to go thicker, it would defeat the logic of redesigning a laptop. I'd say that weight does play a major factor for some but for most it has to do with the performance and display of the laptop.

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Uh, no.
    Apple would not make it thicker.
    That would defeat the whole purpose.

8. zipur macrumors 6502

I use to think this shaving off an ounce here and there was a stupid marketing trick. I use to think that the minimalist concept was a joke. I spent many hours on the anythingbutipad.com web site. Post after post. review after review all trying to be like apple. People hate apple so much for being the standard, I find this is true just like in sports and politics. But now i've switched teams and I'm in love! I've converted all my equipment to Apple and i aint looking back. Think about this my rMBP is the same thickness as my (IPad+Case)!
    Yes weight matters, yes size matters! All these little things add up and result in a much better user experience.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I voted no, just to be different :p

Seriously, I think everyone enjoys and appreciates the thinner lighter rmbp, its one of the features apple touts and rightfully so.

10. bill-p thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, they could have kept it at the same thickness as the cMBP, and just add the Retina display instead.

If they had a Retina MBP with cMBP enclosure for, say... $200 cheaper, would you have gone for that and skip the thinner/lighter redesign?

Similarly, if they had a non-Retina MBP 15" with a new thinner/lighter redesign alongside that thicker rMBP, would you have chosen the thinner design over the screen?

11. Krazy Bill, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Who's the lone dumb-ass in the poll that wishes his rMBP were heavier? :D

Edit: Oops, change that to, Mr. dumb-ass sir. :D

12. Macral macrumors member

After four years since the introduction of the cMBP, of course it has to be thinner and lighter.

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

14. xdxdaustin macrumors regular

I came from a pre-unibody white MacBook so this might as well be the MacBook Air to me :D

15. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Coming from 17" 2009 model, the difference is huge. I notice it both when carrying the Retina MB around in my leather briefcase, and when lifting it og carrying it by hand. It´s usable in almost any situation. Toilet visits included

16. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Wouldn't want to be the poor soul that buys that on eBay.

17. serenesam macrumors member

serenesam

Light is definitely better, carry it with your sleeve and you're good to go. :)

18. alyshehata macrumors member

I feel you man. My heart skips a beat every now and then when I feel that my bag is too light. This thing is awesome :')

19. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I appreciate the MacBook Pro with a retina display being thinner and lighter than the previous incarnation.

However, I would appreciate even more if it was even lighter.

The 15-inch MacBook Pro with a retina display weighs 4.46 lbs, but that's not unprecedented. The 15-inch Sony Vaio S weighs 4.42 lbs, even less than the Mac, and it has an optical disk drive.

Apple could have used other materials, such as carbon fibre instead of aluminium, to make the laptop lighter. Aluminium certainly has better looks, and MacBook Pros look beautiful near Sony Vaios, but they also weigh more.

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Thinner & lighter are bug free features.

For those who care, that's great news :)

21. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Performance > design > retina.

I suppose that if this were strictly true, I would just buy a thick Alienware gaming laptop, but I also want to enjoy looking at my computer.

22. procrastinasn macrumors regular

I might've even went for a non-retina one if it had the same form factor as the rmbp.. now I look at the cMBP and it's so freaking thick.

23. serenesam macrumors member

serenesam

4.46lbs vs 4.42lbs, not a huge significance for me. :)

I will say this though, for me it has always been between Apple and Sony as my favorite brands. Sony always seemed more ahead, updated in technology, like for example, Sony came out with the IPS full HD display on that 15.5 in. Vaio S Series before Apple did. Apple felt more sturdy, really good hardware. I have had several other brands like Dell and HP 10 years ago, but they all failed or broke. I had a Sony Vaio for 7 years....

24. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

lmao