Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cammington13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Flint, MI
Over the past couple of days, my rMBP has been making a very odd noise. I think it might be an alert, but i'm not positive. The best way I can describe it is like something really fast flying past your ear. It sort of sounds like a cartoon noise of the wind from a really fast runner flying by. Does anyone know what is making this noise, and how I can silence it? any help is greatly appreciated.:D

appleisgod

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Over the past couple of days, my rMBP has been making a very odd noise. I think it might be an alert, but i'm not positive. The best way I can describe it is like something really fast flying past your ear. It sort of sounds like a cartoon noise of the wind from a really fast runner flying by. Does anyone know what is making this noise, and how I can silence it? any help is greatly appreciated.:D

Macs generally make that sound when an email is being sent.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
turn off your wifi and turn it back on

or

turn off your wifi and plug in an ethernet cable...

is that the annoying effing damn i want to turn it off sound?

appleisgod

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
That would be ideal, wouldn't it. Unfortunately, it happens so far apart, and at such random times, there would be a lot of empty recording so to speak. Ill do my best though! :eek:

If you spotlight search "sounds", there will be a heap of different sounds in a folder. Maybe it's one of those?

Outkast27

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2012
Earf
I have the same random sound. Its like a movie sound effect when some one swipes a knife across. My buddy says is the imessage app. I dont think it is. Ive heard it on other macs also. I almost want to say I remember it on my windows pc.

rjay0196

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
I'm having the same issue!

I have the same problem and can't find it anywhere! I have also tried all of these recommendations.

Cammington13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Flint, MI
If you spotlight search "sounds", there will be a heap of different sounds in a folder. Maybe it's one of those?

Tried that, none of them match :/

----------

I have the same random sound. Its like a movie sound effect when some one swipes a knife across. My buddy says is the imessage app. I dont think it is. Ive heard it on other macs also. I almost want to say I remember it on my windows pc.

Thats a good description. It also kinda sounds like a fast sword swipe, or nun-chuck swipe. lol

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Tried that, none of them match :/

----------

Thats a good description. It also kinda sounds like a fast sword swipe, or nun-chuck swipe. lol

Messages when a buddy logs in or logs off... go to Messages app, preferences, alerts and Play A Sound, toggle Buddy logs in & Buddy logs off and you'll hear it.

Cammington13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Flint, MI
Messages when a buddy logs in or logs off... go to Messages app, preferences, alerts and Play A Sound, toggle Buddy logs in & Buddy logs off and you'll hear it.
WINNER WINNER WINNER!!! :D :p Thats the sound!!!! :D Thank you everyone for helping me out. haha It was starting to really bug me! lol :mad: Glad we could figure this out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.