rMBP weird sound from left side of the computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trappist, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Trappist macrumors newbie

Hello all.

3 weeks ago i got my new 2,3 macbook pro with retina display and needless to say i was a very happy man.
    but after using it for a little while i noticed a clicking sound conning from the left side of the computer. around where the power plug is. i tried to unplug the power, but the sound was still there some times more then others. all from 5 times a hour til 3-4 times a minute . it sounds almost like an electric discharge from a electric overload.

i have tried finding something about it on several forums without any luck.

i called apple and they told me i should simply bring it back to the store to get a new one but since the delivery or this computer is around 4-6 weeks i think ill wait til there is less wait time.

anyone else head of this issue or a macbook before?

Best regards
    Trappist

2. korbearus10 macrumors member

Does it sound like "tick"? As in, almost like a tiny pin coming in contact with another metal? I actually have something like that occasionally from the left speaker area. When I slightly press on the left speaker grill, I hear the sound. Otherwise, when I'm typing, I'll hear the sound once in a while. It's not loud. At first I thought it was coming from the left hinge, but found it came from under the speaker grill.

BTW I've had a creaking rMBP before, so this one is 1000% better and not going back.

3. deerfaced macrumors regular

Don't worry about waiting, if you bring it in to apple, chat to someone, the chances are they'll tell you to call applecare. From there you should be able to email 'sign' a waiver, which allows them to send you a replacement out while you keep the one you have.

No sending yours off and waiting for another to arrive.