rMBP What to look for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Soccer5se, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Soccer5se macrumors member

Ok, so my rMBP (base) is arriving tonight. :) When I first turn on the computer what are some of the problems I should look for?

I've been reading the posts for the past 3 weeks, but there are still a lot of things I don't understand. For example, bleeding and dead pixels. I am worried because I am not buying directly from Apple.co.kr. I bought through a popular online shopping mall because with my wife's membership I could get over $200 off.

So, if someone could point out the potential problems I should be looking for that would be great!!

Rich

2. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Dead/stuck pixels will show as black dots or colored dots that don't belong there. You can see them by looking at images of solid colors.

Bleeding or ghosting will be pretty obvious. Little gray bits of windows and things will persist on the screen when things move around. Google for some pics of the ghosting issue.

You should also be on the lookout for yellow strips, pink and green corners or splotches, or uneven backlighting (easiest to see when watching a letterboxed movie, look at the black edges). All displays will feature some of these variations to one degree or another, so make sure yours is satisfactory to you.

I would recommend not accepting any stuck/dead pixels. You should accept minimal light bleed, because most screens have it and you don't want to risk getting a worse screen. Don't accept a major coloration defect, like half the screen being yellowish, or a corner being really dark. A really bad screen affects resale value as well as your own enjoyment.

3. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

4. Soccer5se thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that really helps.

As for the optical drive comment, that was one thing I've kind of been worrying about. Because Macs are not big here in South Korea, I'm worried that the vender selling them doesn't really know the difference. lol

Thanks

Rich (crossing his fingers for a perfect machine)

5. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Prepare to rage if they sent you the wrong model. :p