rMBP - when will SSD prices drop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stagmeister, Nov 2, 2012.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

I know that no one actually knows when the SSD prices will drop. But:

A major factor on how long my computer will last has to do with how much free hard drive space there is, and based on my current usage -- I take a lot of photos, listen to lots of music, and make lots of files -- my needs are always growing.

For this reason, I really would like my next computer to have at least a 500GB drive. Right now my 250GB Black macbook (2008) is almost completely full and I hate having to continually work to make new free space.

However, I want **both** a big hard drive and an SSD (for speed & also it seems like everything is transitioning to SSD).

How long do you think it will take Apple to move to a 256GB SSD as standard, or even 512GB SSD standard? Do you think that "average" users will ever really need that much space, especially with the growth of cloud servers, icloud etc? It seems to me that Apple these days is building for what the average person needs. That is fine. But they shouldn't force those who want a more powerful machine to pay completely out the nose.

Thoughts?

2. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Network attached storage. Its the business.

I've got an extra drive sticking out of my time capsule, and its great.

3. Kafka macrumors 6502

I'm in the same situation with my 256GB Air. Like you said nobody knows, but I'd say in a year at least.

4. magbarn macrumors 68000

It has already dropped by 50% compared to the prices that Apple is still charging and getting away with. Apple is charging 2010 prices for their SSD storage when an equivalent 128/256 gb Samsung 830 (essentially the same SSD as what's in the rMBP's) goes for $70/$150 respectively. So Apple is charging $300 for a $80 upgrade... what else is new?