rMBP: When will there be an update?

dsah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Is there any evidence to suggest that the price of the rMBP will be reduced by Apple within the next few months? I know that eventually the price of the MacBook will go down but when and by how much?

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
No, at the very least a year but most likely a few. There is always the possible 13in rMBP that would be cheaper, most likely $1599 starting

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Don't expect a price drop so soon. I would doubt there would be a price drop at the next refresh.

fleawannabe

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Apple never really has price drops, they just bump up the specs and charge the same price.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Don't know why you put your focus on the price (I agree that it'll keep that point for a longer time)?
I'd guess 'early' 2013. As we are right in the middle of an update cycle, I find the question about the future rMBP quite legitimate and interesting. Maybe this should be another thread, but what do you people expect from the rev. B spec-wise?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Don't know why you put your focus on the price (I agree that it'll keep that point for a longer time)?
I'd guess 'early' 2013. As we are right in the middle of an update cycle, I find the question about the future rMBP quite legitimate and interesting. Maybe this should be another thread, but what do you people expect from the rev. B spec-wise?
One things for sure, the next rMBP will be a big improvement & the one to have.

tullnd

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Can't really tell cause we don't know what the next update will be. We all assume Haswell will be out for a 1 year anniversary processor update. If the rumors end up true, Haswell will run quite a bit cooler...but will be physically larger. Space is the real enemy and is what drives costs in the rMBP.

Haswell running cooler and using a little less power could provide enough space reclamation to fit 2GB of video ram in though. Then have to see what GPU is available with a low thermal load and hopefully a smaller die size than the 650M that's there today.

Assuming they can save on space, I wouldn't be surprised if the next update also included maybe a $100 price drop along with the processor and GPU refresh. Nothing huge, but just a small drop to bring it more inline with the cost of the classics. Figuring they'll eventually drop the cMBP line anyways and be able to consolidate production(which will lower costs more), that'll be when you first see a significant price drop.