rMBP, which one should I get ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Anynoupy, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Anynoupy macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Since the announcement of the newest rMBP models, I've been considering getting one for my day-to-day use.
    However I'm still uncertain when it comes to the model I should get, let me describe my needs / requirements :

-Video editing, at most 25% of my use, as I'm no pro and it would mostly be basic at first, but I hope I could get better and thus get some more out of it.
    -VMs, servers admin and dev, probably 30% of my use, mostly working on Linux VMs for some school / work projects, but I might use Windows sometimes. No big needs, just a few logs I've to get up and running. Basic dev for now on.
    -Basic internet, video, writing, etc... use, 30% of my use, well, nothing demanding here.
    -Games, the remaining 15% of my use, probably some DotA 2, SC2, TF2, CS ... Nothing much actually, as I don't have much times for gaming anymore, I'll mostly be gaming on my handheld consoles.

Thus, I already eradicated the basic 13" model from my array of choice, but I'm still hesitating whereas to get a 13" or 15" model.
    Any advice please? :confused:

Much appreciated, thanks in advance! :apple:

2. Anynoupy thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Bear macrumors G3

The 15" doesn't weigh that much more than the 13" and you'll appreciate the larger screen for various applications.

Since the ram is not upgradeable after you buy it, I do recommend 16GB with the uses you listed. As for how big an SSD, that is something you'll need to decide yourself.

As for which graphics option, you might be better off with the NVidia option based on video editing and some games.

4. Anynoupy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I wouldn't be carrying it all so much, so the weight was / is not much of a concern.
    I was still uncertain whether to get the 13" or the 15" because of the CPU/GPU, 15" that is then, thank you ;)

5. guillemn macrumors member

I am in the same boat, and I dont know what to do.
    I was to get a desktop machine, but still i need low portability that would requiere to mantain my current MBP2010, option that do not want.

There is that much diference between a rMBP and iMac i7? I have seen the sintetic geekbench test but I am not sure.