Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Just called my local store and they got more in stock but they still have lion installed

Any idea why? It's been several weeks now

Debating between base model or base plus 16 gig ram

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Just called my local store and they got more in stock but they still have lion installed

Any idea why? It's been several weeks now

Debating between base model or base plus 16 gig ram

Would you rather they open up the brand new computer and update it? This isnt best buy...

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Was that at an Apple store? Best Buy? Seems unusual that they wouldn't be updated, but I guess it depends on the store - and how capable the employees may be.

pmmartin

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
Sebastian, FL
Mountain Lion

I got mine at our local Apple Store on this past Sunday and it came with Mountain Lion out of the box.

This is absolutely the most awesome computer I have ever owned. To think of all the years I campaigned against Apple. Bought a 13 inch Air last July but just had to have the Retina and I am not sorry. I did run out of drive space on the 128 mb air as I have a large iPhoto collection.

Great machine and zero issues so far.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Apple store

Thing is they regularly sell out ang get more

Makes me think they never had a shortage and were just weeding them out in small batches to create false shortage

So my guess is the 5-7 day online wait is just for show

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Apple doesn't open up stock and update; it would turn the system into a "used" system. Any stock already in stores will come with free upgrade coupon.

what would be the benefit of that? Used does not carry the perception of new, and no customer looking for a new is going to walk out with a used feeling the same about it.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
They flash the memory prior to installation. They would use all the Lion flashed discs prior to installing any new ML ones. New BTO rMBPs might have ML installed at this point.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Apple store

Thing is they regularly sell out ang get more

Makes me think they never had a shortage and were just weeding them out in small batches to create false shortage

So my guess is the 5-7 day online wait is just for show

They could have a couple week supply of the SSDs with Lion flashed on them, with the bottleneck being one of the other components.

Jack9034

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2011
Here in NZ there are no Apple stores but at my local reseller they STILL have Lion on their machines. I just bought one from there and it came with Lion and this is 4 months after Mountain Lion was released. It was also just shipped here on the 8th of November too so that's a bit weird

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.