rMBP why still with Lion at stores?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by udflyer, Aug 16, 2012.

1. udflyer macrumors 6502

Just called my local store and they got more in stock but they still have lion installed

Any idea why? It's been several weeks now

Debating between base model or base plus 16 gig ram

2. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

Would you rather they open up the brand new computer and update it? This isnt best buy...

3. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Was that at an Apple store? Best Buy? Seems unusual that they wouldn't be updated, but I guess it depends on the store - and how capable the employees may be.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple doesn't open up stock and update; it would turn the system into a "used" system. Any stock already in stores will come with free upgrade coupon.

5. pmmartin macrumors newbie

pmmartin

Mountain Lion

I got mine at our local Apple Store on this past Sunday and it came with Mountain Lion out of the box.

This is absolutely the most awesome computer I have ever owned. To think of all the years I campaigned against Apple. Bought a 13 inch Air last July but just had to have the Retina and I am not sorry. I did run out of drive space on the 128 mb air as I have a large iPhoto collection.

Great machine and zero issues so far.

6. udflyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple store

Thing is they regularly sell out ang get more

Makes me think they never had a shortage and were just weeding them out in small batches to create false shortage

So my guess is the 5-7 day online wait is just for show

7. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

what would be the benefit of that? Used does not carry the perception of new, and no customer looking for a new is going to walk out with a used feeling the same about it.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

They flash the memory prior to installation. They would use all the Lion flashed discs prior to installing any new ML ones. New BTO rMBPs might have ML installed at this point.

9. bookwrath macrumors member

FWIW, I picked one up in store yesterday and it came with Mountain Lion...

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

They could have a couple week supply of the SSDs with Lion flashed on them, with the bottleneck being one of the other components.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I simply said Apple does not update in stock systems. They get a free upgrade coupon.

12. Jack9034, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

Jack9034 macrumors member

Jack9034

Here in NZ there are no Apple stores but at my local reseller they STILL have Lion on their machines. I just bought one from there and it came with Lion and this is 4 months after Mountain Lion was released. It was also just shipped here on the 8th of November too so that's a bit weird

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

That tells me they are old stocks, haven't been flying out of the doors.