rMBP WiFi connectivity issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mongol, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Mongol macrumors member

Does anyone else have issues with WiFi connection dropping on the rMBP?

I was at Starbucks earlier, and my WiFi connection dropped twice, while my friend's connection with a 2010 MBP was fine. So it was obviously not the wireless router's issue, but the rMBP.

At home, I also sometimes have to turn the WiFi on and off before I get internet access, even though it thinks it's connected.

Has anyone else seen this?

2. Burk11 macrumors newbie

I have had this issue a few times. It'll just drop connection, and I either have to restart or turn the wifi on/off to get it to work again.

3. Mongol thread starter macrumors member

Do you plan to take it back?

4. Burk11 macrumors newbie

To be honest, I'm undecided, but if I do, it won't be because of this wifi issue - it'll be because I can't seem to edit HD video in FCP X without dropping frames.

The wireless issue has happened a handful of times, and I'm guessing it's something they'll fix in an update.

5. Mongol thread starter macrumors member

what if the wireless issue is hardware related?

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

Make sure your system is up to date with all OS X updates.

If it is reproducible at home, you have two choices, one is to take it to the Genius Bar to have it fixed or wait until Mountain Lion is released and see if the update will improve it.

As far as I can tell, nobody else reported any massive issues with the Wi-Fi radio. It's the same radio used in previous MBP.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Just because it is reproducible doesn't mean it is a problem with the MBPr specifically. It could just as easily be a problem with the wireless router or the environment it is in.

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

Yes it could easily be but his friend's MBP should've experienced the same problem if it was the wireless router or the environment. For him to experience exactly the same problems in two different environments are suggestive of an radio issue.

9. Mongol thread starter macrumors member

There is a pretty long thread on Apple forums about WiFi problems with macbook pros on Lion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1352518?start=1470&tstart=0

If it's the same wifi adapter as older Macbook pros, then it's probably the same problem.

I'm gonna watch it for a few more days. If it drops again, I'm taking it back.

10. mdapple macrumors regular

I also noticed a couple drops, didn't think much of it but it's definitely not my router because my other laptop is still connected

11. MikhailT macrumors 601

Just remember that it is normal to see a drop every once in a while. If you're only seeming it every once in few days, a new MBP replacement won't help. .

I see just the same problem on other Windows laptops, they drop like once in every 2-3 days and takes about a few minutes to reconnect.

12. Lvivske macrumors regular

That's not normal.