rMBP will no longer boot after restore

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Jmhoey, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Jmhoey macrumors newbie

So, yesterday my rMBP froze solid. Hard reboot and it hung at the Apple screen. Tried a quick SMC and PRAM cleanse but no good. Came down to restoring from Time Machine but still no luck. Before going forward let me say that the data is fine, verified.

Ultimately wiped partition and did a fresh install. Booted fine. Imported data during the install and booted fine. Since there were a number of little things not brought in I did another restore. Back to not booting. I could start over and run with the import and do all of the niggling to get settings set back but would like to know if anyone has run into this. It bothers me not knowing what the issue is. Certainly not hardware, thank goodness.

rMBP Mid-2012
    750GB SSD
    16GB RAM

Also, at one point I had an error in Disk Utility for the EFI partition but it only came up once. Even after the restores it checks clean.

Thanks for any advice. Sorry for the abrupt nature, I hate typing this much on my phone.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like your issues started before the restore. I'd run the AHT on the laptop and see if anything kicks out.

3. Jmhoey thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick follow up. I was in Safari, oddly enough looking at Intego's site when it froze. I also happened to go to their site on my G5 tower running 10.5 and it froze also. The G5 however came back to life after the reboot where my poor rMBP 10.9.2 did not.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Suggestion for the future:
    Stay away from Intego's site...

5. Jmhoey thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Jmhoey thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: AHT was 100% clean. Doing a fresh install with data transfer and will wrestle with the little app bits. Would still like to hear of any experiences or thoughts.