rMBP will not stop crashing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Walter Bell, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Walter Bell macrumors regular

Purchased my brand new rMBP yesterday. Did migration assistant from my MBA and waited for it to finish. Once done I began using the laptop with safari and Diablo 3 open (a game). Once I alt-tabbed to safari, the computer locked up and a forced reboot was required. After the reboot, the computer automatically launched safari, but then locked up immediately. Rebooted again but I never made it past a grey screen. So I booted into recovery, wiped my drive, reinstalled OSX, and transferred D3 over the network. Same thing just happened. Locked up while alt-tabbed out of D3, then locked up immediately once it was finished booting.

Suggestions on what to do? Love the computer otherwise. The screen is amazing and beautiful. I want to exchange it but supply is tight and I don't want to have turn it in to the genius bar.

2. akadmon macrumors 68010

Exchange it. It's not like you don't have another computer (MBA)! Make a stink at the genius bar and who knows, they might just throw in an upgrade (another 8 GB of RAM, 750 GB SSD?).

3. strausd macrumors 68030

If a fresh install didn't fix it then yes, you should exchange it. You paid for a working product and should expect nothing less.

However, do not expect an upgrade. Supplies are tight and it is not possible to "just throw in an upgrade" in a rMBP.

4. dekka007 macrumors member

Nothing wrong with the macbook pro for sure.

Sounds like something your doing with D3 transfer / migration.

Don't install D3 does the machine crash?

If you are transferring D3 from your old machine i suggest you do a clean install of D3.

5. Walter Bell thread starter macrumors regular

No such thing as a free lunch and I don't expect one. I know every product that leaves the factory won't be 100% and if I happen to get a bad apple, so be it. Apple has a great exchange policy and I have always had great service.

I am going to re-install D3 tonight and see if that fixes anything.

6. dekka007 macrumors member

Like I said if the machine is not crashing without D3 then the machine is fine.

I think you would be crazy to swap it and wait possibly 2 weeks for a replacement.

7. Walter Bell thread starter macrumors regular

So far I have been surfing the web, running my day trading software, playing music through MOG, and downloading all my info through iTunes with 0 crashes.

It must be something to do with running diablo at 2880x1800 resolution and then switching back to 1920x1200 resolution when alt-tabbed out of it.

What would put more strain on the GPU, Windowed mode of full screen? I would think full screen, but not sure.

Thanks!

8. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

It could also just be a bug with tabbing out of D3 (possibly a Blizzard issue in this case). Although, your theory on the sudden change in resis seems plausible given the relative complexity of how Apple scales the OS.

Either way, I don't think an exchange would be necessary, or that another rMBP wouldn't react the same way.

9. Walter Bell thread starter macrumors regular

Well I spoke to soon. D3 isn't even installed and the computer locked up. This is not normal. I run my laptop at 1920x1200 resolution. I had 4gb of ram free with very little strain on the CPU (monitoring in Activity Monitor). Time to find out how to pull Crash logs.