rMBP+Windows 8

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattxi, Mar 7, 2013.

1. mattxi macrumors member

I almost feel stupid asking...in the system settings when I'm in windows 8, the RAM section reads that I have 16gb installed (2.17 gb usable). Does this mean that for everything I'm doing I'm only using 2.17gb?? If so, how do I increase that because I'd love to utilize all those luscious gigs I paid for...

Thanks!

2. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Install 64 bit Windows 8 so it can address the extra ram. Or, if its virtual, you need to increase the memory allocated to the vm

3. mattxi thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I have 32 but running now, does that mean I can't allocate more memory to it?

And would that contribute to a reason why my fans run pretty high while playing any game?

Games run fine, by the way.

4. kensic macrumors 6502

download the 64 bit version of windows 8 ( you can use the same cd key).
    and reinstall bootcamp

32bit version only supports up to 4gb
    64bit version supports 4gb+

5. mattxi thread starter macrumors member

So a) I have a less-than-purchased version of windows 8, and b) my partition is far past set up the way I want, and I'd prefer not to have to erase and redo EVERYTHING...is there a way I could transfer all settings, apps, etc...?

6. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

nope.

only 64 bit OSes can use more than 4gb of ram.

Games can utilize more than that.

your fans run at higher speeds during game for obvious reasons, the load creates heat.

best idea is to install windows on top of the older one, that will create a windows.old folder, delete it and install everything now, or just go to OSX, use the bootcamp assistant destroy the windows partition and you can create a new one, install everything and be done

windows takes 20min to install

7. mattxi thread starter macrumors member

Not sure if I understand 100%, is there a way to install 64 bit within 32 bit, so as not to destroy the partition?

----------

And if not, is there a way to transfer games and saves (battlefield 3, example), to the new partition before destroying the original partition?

The real concern and almost the only thing holding me back is Battlefield 3...I paid for it and don't want to have to pay for it again.

8. kensic macrumors 6502

nope you have to completely restart over. sorry

9. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

Yes, the first install method which was simply install over windows, leaves you with a folder called windows.old in the C: partition

in that folder everything from your windows previous installation is there, but beware, you need at least 30gbs of space more than what you currently use

Another option would be to just get those BF3 save files, and since BF3 is tied to your origin account you wont lose anything, check on origin to see if they are saving the games save files on their servers, I dont use a backup for my mass effect games anymore, its all stored with origin.

for other games check the internet to where they put the save games, for some its in the docs folder, for others its in a hidden folder in docs and settings

10. mattxi, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

mattxi thread starter macrumors member

If i have an iso image of the 64bit version, would i just run it in my bootcamp partition...? seems too simple...

And I'd have to check, but if I don't have 30gbs free (I know i for sure have 20), would it not work?

I just made backups of the entire BF3 folder and Saints Row folder on my Mac partition...but they are there. Would it be safe to destroy the partition and re-partition with 64bit/would I be able to transfer the backups from my Mac partition to my bootcamp partition? (obviously i can take windows partition files and put them directly onto mac, but does it work the other way around?)

11. kensic macrumors 6502

Soon you'll find out after putting back BF3 folder on the 64bit windows version, that the game wont open!

why? because moving game folders (which were from C:/programs/...) isn't the same as installing the games.

12. mattxi thread starter macrumors member

This much I'm aware of...however from what I've read, the installer that's still within that folder is activate-able with origin to be able to re-install. To be honest, I don't know how it works but from what I've read, it seems viable...I guess.

13. kensic macrumors 6502

i have done many reinstalls on my windows computer. to say that, just reinstall the games is best.

you are better off just restart from scratch to save all the headaches that may come trying to figure errors. its just a game installations...it's not like you're losing your game accounts.

14. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

its viable, the first priority would be to configure origin to autosave your games on the cloud, go to preferences and do it there, thats your safety measure.

the other measure you already did which is to get the save games manually, sometimes it requires for you to delete one or 2 files when you put, there a simple google search solves that

if you have 30gb + of free space yes you can try to install from within, it will give you an error, because the system is not upgradeable (you can move from 32bit to 64bit or vice versa), but it wil enable you before windows starts to install windows 64bit (you'll need a thumb drive) and thats it

you will have a windows.old folder on your C: directory, but everything from your old windows is going to be there.

or if that fails, my preference is just go into OSX, use the bootcamp app, remove the bootcamp partition, close the app, open it again, and install windows from there via a thumbdrive, simple and easy

gone is the time that this would be a difficult thing to accomplish

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I don't have origin but on Steam there is a backup feature and with that you just import the backup back and steam sets everything up again. I suppose the origin client should have something similar.

You don't need to repartition anything. You just delete everything and reinstall windows. Keys don't always work for both 64 and 32. Some licences are limited to one only.

16. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Why would you have to pay for it again to reinstall it..?

----------

just backup the save files and reinstall the games from scratch. WIndows isn't like OSX, where you can just drag the application to a different computer install and expect everything to work.