rMBP with dimmer screen than previous MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iViking, Jun 28, 2012.

1. iViking, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

iViking macrumors 6502

I love the new computer but am wondering if others are experiencing a dimmer screen than the last issue MBP, (in this case, the most recent 13" MBP before this month's update).

Also, to get full brightness I have to tilt my screen way back. Any other viewing angle is off. In other words, the optimal viewing angle is when the screen is tilted back fully, which seems odd, rather than somewhere in the middle.

Lastly, there's a slight grayish cast in the lower left hand corner as though not as fully backlit. I don't think these things are reason for a return but was wondering if anyone else noticed this on their rMBPs?

2. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Yeah when I opened up my RMBP from Amazon last night it was sort of bugging me as well that the display seems a little dimmer than what I'd hoped for on max brightness. I'm guessing it is the result of slimming down the lid on the MBP and working to improve the battery life for the retina display.

3. Diego7 macrumors newbie

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yes I've read in reviews that it is dimmer. Anandtech has a good review of some possible reasons why. Go check it out

5. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

the more dense pixels are, the less light gets through. the actual backlight will be brighter, just less of it gets through. Sharp have some new tech that is supposed to even this out, but it's not in use yet.

6. iViking thread starter macrumors 6502

7. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Did you also noticed that when you charge your laptop the screen gets brighter? Then when you unplug and turn up the brightness, it's still not as bright. :D

Just thought that was a little odd. lol

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I imagine that's just a placebo effect?

9. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

You probably need to disable "Automatically adjust brightness" under Display settings.

10. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I'm going to try that.

11. iViking thread starter macrumors 6502

That doesn't seem to happen on mine.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That actually suggest that they may have intentionally capped it lower. I mean that it's possible it could physically go higher, but they chose to set it like this. If you turn down the backlight on any lcd, you'll notice black levels also decrease in brightness. It could also be related to the increase in pixel density. I never personally saw high max brightness levels as a real feature.