rMBP with external Dell U2414H

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by red-5, Jun 26, 2014.

1. red-5 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I am using a late 2013 macbook pro with a new external dell monitor U2414H. I am having similar problems to others whereby the text and fonts on my external display are pixelated quite badly, this is not in relation to going from a retina screen to a non-retina screen as I have other systems with 24 inch monitors that don't look like this. There is clearly a problem.

I have gone through various diagnosis based on things i've come across online.

I have:

• Used different leads
    • HDMI, Mini Display, Mini Display -> HDMI
    • Reset RGB (forced override with Ruby script)
    • Adjusted sharpness and colour with monitors physical display settings

I don't know what else I can do to get this working or where exactly the problem is coming from.

Is it an issue with the rMBP or my Dell monitor. If it is the latter I will return the Dell and purchase another monitor, however if its a known issue with the rMBP I will have to just come to terms with the fact that my 2000+ pound computer cannot run an external display :mad:.

Appreciate your input, thanks!

2. bootz macrumors member

Sounds like using HDMI is the issue. If you used a mini-dp to DVI cable my guess is your problems would go away. I have a monitor that when connected via HDMI to HDMI looks horrible (forces "TV mode), but mini-dp to DVI looks great. I picked the cable up on Amazon for about $10. I have a mid 2012 rMBP.

3. red-5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am currently using a mini display to mini display port. The dell monitor I've purchased doesn't have a DVI port.

4. daco77 macrumors newbie

Your dell is detected has monitor or tv in osx ?

5. red-5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it did originally but I did the forced RGB thing and its now showing like this:

[​IMG]
    http://postimg.org/image/idbrib34v/

6. Doug Hope macrumors member

Doug Hope

No problems here with mine connect with a mini display port to display port cable. I forced RGB but I couldn't see a difference.

7. red-5 thread starter macrumors newbie

So would you say the issue is related to the monitor?

This is the difference between screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Doug Hope macrumors member

Doug Hope

9. red-5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah yours look far better. The fonts on my screen are so bad their literally unreadable for any extended period of time.

10. rapicell macrumors regular

Odd, I have the same monitor (the dell ultra sharp) and I'm also using the included DP to MDP cord and everything looks just fine for me. This probably a silly question, but what resolution setting are you using?

11. red-5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have it set to best for display on both the laptop and the external monitor. The external monitors resolution is 1920x1080

----------

Yes I tried this as well.

12. nardstae macrumors newbie

@red

Hi,

I'm using MBP Mid-2014 with the same monitor, U2414H.
    @ red, did you manage to fix the fonts?