Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meyer1131

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I just purchased a new rMBP 128gb and upgraded my processor to 2.9GHZ and RAM to 16GB. Will I be okay with the 128 SSD if I am streaming music through apple music and keep my iPhone backups on my old 15" MacBook Pro? I am starting to get buyers remorse for not upgrading to the 256gb SSD though most of my work is on google drive and cloud based. Any recommendations? My computer is set to be delivered on Monday.

tl/dr: ordered 128gb, will this be enough storage if mostly cloud based storage used and don't plan to backup pictures/ videos/ games to new MBP.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
I don't know.
Personally I could not get by with anything less than 256.
I'd ditch the CPU bump and instead invest in storage.
But I do play the occasional game and I like keeping a Windows partition for those ornery work programs that just won't work with Crossover/Parallels/Whatever.

You might not need storage now, but the longer you own the machine the more, excuse the expression, **** is going to pile up.
Then again, not having lots of space is a good incentive to keep things tidy ;)

But different strokes, right?

Reactions: TheIguana

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
I also have the 128GB SSD and it's plenty for my needs (and I'm running El Capitan on a secondary partition; in addition to Yosemite as my main OS). I have a 500GB external HD, that I use for Time Machine, but that I also made a separate partition on for storing any large files that I don't often use (videos etc). Works well for me! I agree though that you're money would have been better spent on increasing the storage capacity rather then a on slight improvement on the processor.

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
128GB may not be enough. Only you know how much space you need. I have 3 Mac myself. When I got my recent 512MBP I was not sure it was going to be enough. Now granted I split the drive in half for boot camp, but I was concerned. The saving grace for me was iTunes Match, iCloud, Photos iCloud & Plex. Using all these I have 170GB free of 250 on my Mac side. It's all about data management. Personally I would return and get the 256GB with ram bump but no CPU bump. It will give you room to breath, and you probably won't even notice the CPU is different. Now my data management is largely successful with the help of the other Mac and it's large storage keep the cloud storage in line. You may even need more if it's your old computer. Or at least invest in some external storage.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
Have you used this/ heard anyone use this product with success?
I'm afraid not. I would assume that it works like any sd card in that slot. I went ahead and ordered one because they gave me a promo code when I got another on of their products on kickstarter.

The code is KICKSTARTER-THX. It is good for an extra 5.00 off for the next few days.

They sent me a shipping confirmation within a few hours.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
I have 128GB storage on my rMBP since I do not store anything on my drive. I have Adobe Photoshop, 1Password, BOOM, Endnote and Office 365 installed. All my music is stored on my home network, but 99% of the time I stream music from online subscription services (Di.fm, Apple music, etc.). I currently have over 100GB storage space free on my rMBP SSD. I don't think my usage would be considered the norm though.

I ordered one of these just to cover the empty slot! Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Chewbacca

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
What are you doing that you need that much RAM, but no hard disk space? I would far rather have 8GB and a slightly slower processor and twice the space to store things. The RAM and processor will likely never be something you can actually notice when you are using the computer unless you have a very specific workflow, whereas the lack of drive space may be something you deal with every day you own the computer.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
I have 128GB storage on my rMBP since I do not store anything on my drive. I have Adobe Photoshop, 1Password, BOOM, Endnote and Office 365 installed. All my music is stored on my home network, but 99% of the time I stream music from online subscription services (Di.fm, Apple music, etc.). I currently have over 100GB storage space free on my rMBP SSD. I don't think my usage would be considered the norm though.

I ordered one of these just to cover the empty slot! Thanks
That is funny that you would say that, the kickstarter I was talking about was a sort of stand for the bottom along with similar plugs for all the other ports.

I happen have a 32gb micro sd card that I will stick in there but ya, totally got it to match the other plugs.

The kickstarter campaign just ended but if you want all of the other plugs i'm sure you could email them and work something out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ra-thin-smart-stand-aluminum-dust/description

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
If you're using cloud storage for media and documents, don't really see why you couldn't get away with 128GB. I keep my media on my iMac, and stream my library to my phone when I'm in the car. My MBA is just for carrying around. This way if something happens to it, I don't lose any files really. Aside from the general/default Mac applications, I only have Office and Diablo 3 installed. Have plenty of space since all of my documents are on iCloud Drive.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
In three years of using my Air with 128gigs, it will be bliss to upgrade to a new machine, just for the bigger SSD. I was smart enough to upgrade the RAM from 4 to 8 gigs but didn't even think twice about the 128 gigs of space. "I'll just keep everything in the cloud, everything is moving that way anyways". Lies. Even with my 30 gig iTunes library in iCloud, I only have 5 gigs of storage left on my computer and I've been consistently cleaning out my drive about every three months since I bought the computer.

I'd opt for the bigger SSD.

Reactions: Ovedius and Sully

meyer1131

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Ended up ordering a 256 with 16 gb ram, I'll return the 128 when the new one is delivered, thanks for all of the help im upgrading from a 2011 15" MBP which already had the graphics card failure.

Fthree

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2014
Ended up ordering a 256 with 16 gb ram, I'll return the 128 when the new one is delivered, thanks for all of the help im upgrading from a 2011 15" MBP which already had the graphics card failure.
This was a wise decision. I know i do not know your exact usage but 128 seems like it would be way too little even having cloud options around.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway

I think you made the right call.
Programs are progressively getting larger so even if one relies on cloud storage for music, pictures and such, 128GBs would surely become far too cramped eventually.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

meyer1131

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I think you made the right call.
Programs are progressively getting larger so even if one relies on cloud storage for music, pictures and such, 128GBs would surely become far too cramped eventually.
With the 256, should I go ahead and migrate all my photos/ iTunes library with no problem?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
With the 256, should I go ahead and migrate all my photos/ iTunes library with no problem?

Unfortunately we aren't psychic, only you can know how much space your photos and music takes up. If it fits on with more than enough space to spare then fine if it doesn't then you can't.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Well I personally like 20GB free as overhead and at least another 40GB for apps and downloads I might have for a while before removing. But thats just me you could just fill it up if you want. How big are your music and photo files???

SE43

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
I struggled with 128gb, though I did have a Windows partition. Personally I'd get the lower CPU and get 256gb just to be sure.

meyer1131

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I struggled with 128gb, though I did have a Windows partition. Personally I'd get the lower CPU and get 256gb just to be sure.

After consulting a few other peers I did go ahead and get the 256 SSD scrapped the processor upgrade and kept the ram upgrade.

rMPB 2015 with Force Touch 256GB, 2.7 Ghz Processor, 16GB Ram

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.