Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
This model is October 2013, is there any expectation that it might refresh soon?

What specs might be refreshed?

Thanks

Tony NZ

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Probably not until Intel's new CPU generation (Broadwell) is out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd read Intel said end of 2014, as in Q4, although that may now be Q3. But when that translates into a Mac, hard to say

Agreed, no updates to the rMBP line until intel releases Broadwell, which was slated for Q3 but now is Q4. In the past Apple waited a month or two after Intel released a chipset. If that trends hold true we may be waiting a long time, i.e., most of 2014

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
You are not going to see any Broadwell until christmas shopping season and at that time not the whole line will be updated. Most likely the chips in the MacBook Air come first. The 15" chips probably last. If Apple wants to align all MacBook Pros for update, you may have to wait for Q1 2015 for Apple to update to Broadwell.
Possibly the 15" gets a GPU refresh when 20nm GPUs are out and postpone the Broadwell 15" update while updateing the Dual Core 13" notebooks around Christmas (assuming that is possible).

I think it is unlikely to see a Broadwell update in 2014 at all. If Intel says it postpones to Q4, that means some Broadwells will hit for Chirstmas. Apple needs a lot of high end chips and therefore usually takes a little longer than some of the other lower volume notebook releases of some other companies. So November or December is porbably optimistic and as a lesson from history when it comes to such Apple releases the optimistis have almost always been wrong :(.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
There may be a small refresh as Intel releases new Haswell CPUs/prices drop, but it wouldn't be anything more than a small frequency bump, and maybe more RAM or SSD space standard.

bradleyjx

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Madison, WI
While Intel has seemingly been trying to do 12-month refresh cycles on their chips, in reality it has been slipping recently to about 14 months/refresh. The last refresh was last June, with the MBP refresh happening in October.

If the pattern continues with MBP updates, there will be a refresh sometime in the next 2-3 months, but this would be minor, with maybe new storage size options and a new processor to upgrade to.

Intel has been (almost surprisingly) quiet about Broadwell up to this point: a 14-month release cycle would mean that processors start dropping in August. Looking around Anandtech, Intel appears to have been wanting to starting internal production by the beginning of the year, so when these processors start dropping into actual products is anyone's guess at this point. (my guess is towards the end of this year)

Even once Broadwell drops, though, there's been a consistent lag on MBPs of about 2-4 months before they are refreshed, so even if Broadwell was announced today, you'd still probably be waiting until at least May.

The two reasons for waiting for Broadwell (most likely) would be power and graphics. One of the few things Intel has released about the chipset is that they're seeing a 30% drop in power requirements, which is on top of a significant drop with Haswell. The other side is that, while the CPU power in intel processors really hasn't leapt too quickly between generations, their integrated graphics are jumping pretty well between generations - if they continue with Broadwell, those chips should be pretty good in terms of graphics.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
There may be a small refresh as Intel releases new Haswell CPUs/prices drop, but it wouldn't be anything more than a small frequency bump, and maybe more RAM or SSD space standard.

Apple give more as standard? You are funny.

Also, it took way more than 2 months for the Haswell to find its way into the MBP this past time. Broadwell doesn't look to be getting into MBPs until at least feb of 2015.

A MBP with Broadwell is the 1st that I would consider getting without a dGPU, FWIW.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Also, it took way more than 2 months for the Haswell to find its way into the MBP this past time. Broadwell doesn't look to be getting into MBPs until at least feb of 2015.
Yes but the Airs came a lot sooner with Haswell.
There was also some bug in some early quad core stepping and Intel insisted on selling the slightly buggy ones too. All those that wanted early chips could buy the new stepping exclusively. It is not going to take this long again. Still Broadwell will take a while so even 2 months delay may easily put new MBPs into 2015.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Yes but the Airs came a lot sooner with Haswell.
There was also some bug in some early quad core stepping and Intel insisted on selling the slightly buggy ones too. All those that wanted early chips could buy the new stepping exclusively. It is not going to take this long again. Still Broadwell will take a while so even 2 months delay may easily put new MBPs into 2015.
a lot sooner in the MBA because it was a dual, and much lower clock speed.

I don't know why you think it will be any shorter from 1st appearance of broadwell until MBP. The same pattern will emerge. MBA, desktop(minus mini which is being ignored by apple), then MBP. Do you think broadwell is going to be perfect and instantly available, unlike Haswell?

tdale

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I just ordered a Haswell rMBP with Iris Pro, so I am happy with that. Iris Pro is about 10% slower than the 650M so seems a good option, not that I need any real video power to speak of.

8GB, and 512GB SSD, 15", cannot wait till it arrives, as I am moving from Windows to OSX

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
a lot sooner in the MBA because it was a dual, and much lower clock speed.

I don't know why you think it will be any shorter from 1st appearance of broadwell until MBP. The same pattern will emerge. MBA, desktop(minus mini which is being ignored by apple), then MBP. Do you think broadwell is going to be perfect and instantly available, unlike Haswell?
It was a lot sooner because the dual core the Air got had no issues. There were no delays. Intel released the Quads later and they had bugs in the stepping.
Ivy Bridge or Sandybridge didn't have the same issues the Haswell launch had. It wasn't only Apple that took a long time to update their line. Asus Zenbooks, Dell XPS 15 they all took their time. With Ivy Bridge they were much faster after official release.
There have been a ton of Clevo notebooks shipping long before Asus, Dell, Apple changed their high end lines, because they didn't care about the bugs in the first stepping.
Intel officially released and sold all the Haswells that ended up in the MBP at June 2nd, the same date the Air chips have been released.
Intel starts manufacturing months before that date. They even ship before it. The Bug wasn't a show stopper but it was annoying enough that many companies didn't see a reason to jump onboard quickly while they still had plenty of stock to sell anyway.
Maybe Iris Pro were a little bit delayed on purpose but that will not be a repeat.

It will be more like the Ivy Bridge official release to update and the Haswell one definitely was an outlier.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
If there is a refresh, it won't be on the CPU end. Maybe 8GB standard with 256GB SDD.

The Retina is so much like the Air, I don't see the Air surviving much longer than 2015 or 2016. Something has to give. It'll either be the Retina Pro becoming the "Air" (13" Retina resolution dual-core laptop with 10-12 hours of battery life) or the Air taking over the Retina's segment (13" Retina resolution with ultra low voltage CPU and 10-12 hours of battery life).

I could see the former happening before the latter but it all depends on how well the 15" base is doing and for what reasons people opt to get 13" over it. If the performance of the 13" is too similar and people pass up the 15" base to save money, I could see the Retina 13 bowing out. But if the 15 sales are strong, I could see the Retina Pro becoming the only 13" MacBook and the 11" Air remaining the only ULV, 720P MacBook.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
If there is a refresh, it won't be on the CPU end. Maybe 8GB standard with 256GB SDD.

The Retina is so much like the Air, I don't see the Air surviving much longer than 2015 or 2016. Something has to give. It'll either be the Retina Pro becoming the "Air" (13" Retina resolution dual-core laptop with 10-12 hours of battery life) or the Air taking over the Retina's segment (13" Retina resolution with ultra low voltage CPU and 10-12 hours of battery life).

I could see the former happening before the latter but it all depends on how well the 15" base is doing and for what reasons people opt to get 13" over it. If the performance of the 13" is too similar and people pass up the 15" base to save money, I could see the Retina 13 bowing out. But if the 15 sales are strong, I could see the Retina Pro becoming the only 13" MacBook and the 11" Air remaining the only ULV, 720P MacBook.

They're replacing the current MBA line-up with a single 12" MBA. It's likely never going to see quad core. But I'd guess the 13" MBP will see quad core soon enough. Probably with the next full refresh (2 years from now?).

Idc about the 13" though, the 15" is my only option because of screen real estate and graphics

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
They're supposedly replacing the current MBA line-up with a single 12" MBA. It's likely never going to see quad core. But I'd guess the 13" MBP will see quad core soon enough. Probably with the next full refresh (2 years from now?).

Fixed that for you. And I hope the grammar is right ^^

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They're replacing the current MBA line-up with a single 12" MBA. It's likely never going to see quad core. But I'd guess the 13" MBP will see quad core soon enough. Probably with the next full refresh (2 years from now?).

Idc about the 13" though, the 15" is my only option because of screen real estate and graphics

Who says? I've not really seen too much on this. Yes we have a news thread on the argument for a 11.88 inch MBA but that's a far cry to emphatically stating there is one coming.

Here's the link The Argument for an 11.88-Inch Retina MacBook Air

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
Aren't the Nvidia Maxwells right around the corner? Couldn't they swap the current 750M with an 850M? I've always felt that the current high-end dGPU is a stop-gap solution since it's only marginally faster than the integrated Iris Pro.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Aren't the Nvidia Maxwells right around the corner? Couldn't they swap the current 750M with an 850M? I've always felt that the current high-end dGPU is a stop-gap solution since it's only marginally faster than the integrated Iris Pro.

The GM107 is coming out in a couple weeks I think. That's the Maxwell 750M version. Currently the 15" rMBP uses the 750M (GK107) based on Kepler (2012-2013 architecture of Nividia chips). Early Maxwell chips are coming out in the next month or so, which remain on 28mm base (which Kepler is also), however in Q3/Q4 we'll see the remainder of the Maxwell cards come out with 20mm base and Maxwell architecture. However, as stated, in a couple weeks, the new version of the 750M will be out, with Maxwell architecture.

*I'm not sure they're calling it the 850M just yet.*

TL;DR: The lower end cards (including the 750M) are being refreshed this month, and the Titan (most powerful, mot expensive card) along with the other high end cards, are being refreshed in the fall.

(Source: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-...d-60watt-gpu-geforce-800-series-arrives-2014/)

----------

Who says? I've not really seen too much on this. Yes we have a news thread on the argument for a 11.88 inch MBA but that's a far cry to emphatically stating there is one coming.

Here's the link The Argument for an 11.88-Inch Retina MacBook Air

There's been 2-3 mentioning of it. Including reports from supply chain seeing that exact number as well as equivalent (retina) resolutions to couple with it. If you actually think about it, it's 120% going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.