rMBP woke up from sleep on battery power?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dastinger, Apr 12, 2013.

1. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Hey,

Today I took my mid 2012 rMBP to college in order to work on it.. when I finished, I closed the lid, threw it into my sleeve and into my backpack it went. I was working with it plugged in and I remember that it was fully charged. Now, 4 hours later, I got back home and, when I took it out of the sleeve, I noticed that it was hot which it isn't normal for a laptop that should be sleeping. Once I opened it, I noticed that the battery was at 81%. What the hell? Why did this happen?

Under System Preferences I have Power Nap and Hard Disks sleeping turned OFF. Only thing turned on is display dimming. I also can confirm that the backlight turns OFF when I close the lid so I can't understand what happened here.

Any idea? I'm not confortable with having a rMBP that can't sleep and spends 20% of battery power in 4 hours while not being in use :confused:

2. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

So, it happened again yesterday. My mom was with the rMBP and she said that she had it closed during most of the afternoon. Once she got it open it had lost 10% of battery. How is this possible? What could be wrong? Please help me, guys.

I already reset the SMC and PRAM and still, the same happens.

3. nOw2 macrumors regular

My laptop loses ~2% of charge for every hour of sleep.

4. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Thanks a lot, I'll check that out and report back.

Thing is, if mine lost 1/2% over night it would be more than enough. Now, out of nowhere it starts losing 20% over the corse of 4 hours? :eek:

5. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Ok, one of the things that make the most sense on that article is Spotlight indexing. I freshly installed ML like 2 weeks ago. Is it possible that Spotlight is still indexing? :confused: How could I know for sure?

I don't have any more apps than I had before formatting so I don't think it's some app preventing the MBP to sleep either by accessing data or whatever. Bluetooth is turned off and I don't use any keyboard, mouse or external trackpad (I own and use a Magic Mouse but mainly for the iMac, not the rMBP). No drives were connected to the MBP while it was sleeping. The only thing left is really Spotlight. Not that I use it much but turning it off can't be a solution. What do you advise me to do? Any process I can watch that tells me if Spotlight is indexing? Should I turn it off to see if that is the issue?