rMBP Won't Turn On - Possibly Overheated?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamAshleyBlogs, Aug 9, 2012.

1. SamAshleyBlogs macrumors regular

I'm currently on the phone with AppleCare.

I take my computer to work occasionally and today was no different than any others. Packed it in it's InCase sleeve then my padded laptop bag. Placed it in my car (on the ground of the backseat so it doesn't fall or anything) and drove on my merry way.

Just got to work and when I went to take it out of the bag/sleeve I immediately noticed that my sleeve AND bag were REALLY hot. Took out my rMBP and it was extremely hot with fans running full force. This has never happened. Even during prolonged use with it on my lap at home I have never noticed it even getting warm... it's one feature I was really digging.

I set my laptop up on my desk and it wouldn't turn on. Then, plugged in the power cord...still will not turn on.

I am MORE than peeved. I work near an Apple Store, which is awesome.. however, I have my doggie with me at work today (pretty cool, huh?) so I will not be able to stop there on my way home.

For a machine that cost me $2600, I'm disappointed.

PS - I've always been obsessed with the awesomeness that is AppleCare, but the guy just asked me if I can remove the battery on this model...after we've clarified 210342389 times what model it is and my serial number. Um, really?

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I would say coincidentally today, the sun was shining hard into the back seat and toasted it? I usually put my stuff in the trunk. Nice and cool back there compared to the inside of a car.

3. SamAshleyBlogs thread starter macrumors regular

No, actually. It's extremely dark here today and chilly due to storms that are just rolling in now. Not to mention the fact that I'm always hot so I had the air on full-blast! haha

4. Sumalee macrumors newbie

Some application prevent your mac to shutdown or sleep and keep it on sometimes. My guess is that you concealed your laptop in its bag while it was still on which explain the overheat due to very restricted airflow...

5. Aodhan macrumors regular

It would shut itself off before any damage happened.

6. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Even thought it wasn't a retina MBP, I had this issue about 6 months ago. I would put my computer in my bag, and during my commute it would stay on, with the display off and the front light solid, and there was nothing I could do to get it to sleep. This was even with a clean install. Anyways, it turned out to be a hardware problem and they replaced it. This sounds like the same issue you're having.

7. plainofjars macrumors newbie

I can confirm that this also happened to my brand new rMBP (low-end) running Mountain Lion Golden Master. I shut the computer lid to sleep it, slipped it in its case and into my back pack. Forty minutes later--precisely what you describe: fans screaming and the whole backpack was extremely hot. After I set it down and opened the lid, the screen was black but the pointer (arrow) was still visible. I manually powered the computer down, waited a few minutes and turned it back on. Things were normal and it cooled off relatively quickly. Still, I'm worried about what happened internally during that time. How much time was shaved off my computer's life expectancy? My last computer was a 2007 Intel Core 2 Duo MBP and it never suffered any such issue. Let me know what AppleCare has to say.

8. iRobby, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

too bad it isn't the Apple Store in Estero Fl. That is an outside mall and very dog friendly. Dogs allowed in the stores. They even have doggie water fountains on the sidewalks.