Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slackmachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
I'm looking to get a 15" retina. I want 16gb of RAM (currently have 20gb in my iMac and use 12-13gb constantly in normal use, often more) but I tried the 8gb in store and it was ripping fast despite the base amount of RAM. A refurb 8gb RAM 256gb drive is about $1700, while a new 16gb with 256gb drive is about $2100 (education discount). Is the $400 worth it for the extra RAM? Thanks!

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If you do not use numerous virtual machines in your everyday work, then no, $400 is not worth it for 16Gb RAM.

slackmachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
If you do not use numerous virtual machines in your everyday work, then no, $400 is not worth it for 16Gb RAM.

I'm not running any virtual machines, the most intensive stuff I do is heavy raw photo work and, while doing that, often multiple browser tabs open and video going at the same time. Would the 8gb be fine for this?

stefankendall

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
Probably not.

CVg8Xax.png

With a video up and a couple tools, I'm at 8GB. Note that the other 8 isn't unused. It's used as a file cache to speed up reads.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
You'll also often find 2012/early-2013 refurbs with 256GB and 16GB for a little over $1800, so more like a $200 premium over the base model.

I went with 16GB myself as I plan to keep my computer for 4-5 years and some of the virtual instruments I use can be RAM hogs.

slackmachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
You'll also often find 2012/early-2013 refurbs with 256GB and 16GB for a little over $1800, so more like a $200 premium over the base model.

I went with 16GB myself as I plan to keep my computer for 4-5 years and some of the virtual instruments I use can be RAM hogs.

Where?! I've been looking for one for a while now!

slackmachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
They were pretty common when I was shopping for one three weeks ago. Be patient--I'm sure the refurb store will be refreshed often in the next few weeks.
Sorry last thing but any recommendations as to where to look besides the refurb apple store?

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Open Up.. Take a Look..

I'm not running any virtual machines, the most intensive stuff I do is heavy raw photo work and, while doing that, often multiple browser tabs open and video going at the same time. Would the 8gb be fine for this?

If you do not know what your 'RAM Usage' is now, open up Activity Monitor and find out.. I suspect you may be close to using 8GB at times, esp if having any Browsers open at the same time.. You can't upgrade, so buy accordingly, or Buy Again!! ;)

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009

There are MANY reasons people would use more than 8 GB of ram other than running VM's. Also upgrading from 8 to 16 is more like $200.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
Sorry last thing but any recommendations as to where to look besides the refurb apple store?

I don't know that the Craigslist market is like where you live, but I'd have no problem buying a used one provided it's still under warranty... And MacMall had some pretty good deals on 2012 models just before the Haswells came out.

Refurb store is a safe bet though--just check it once a day and you should see that config pop up before too long.

slackmachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
I don't know that the Craigslist market is like where you live, but I'd have no problem buying a used one provided it's still under warranty... And MacMall had some pretty good deals on 2012 models just before the Haswells came out.

Refurb store is a safe bet though--just check it once a day and you should see that config pop up before too long.

If I keep checking is it bound to pop up? I haven't seen that configuration before in the refurb store at all in the past few weeks. And Macmall doesn't have it.

Regarding the RAM, I'm using so much over 8gb on my iMac in typical use that I don't think 8gb will cut it

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
If I keep checking is it bound to pop up? I haven't seen that configuration before in the refurb store at all in the past few weeks. And Macmall doesn't have it.

Regarding the RAM, I'm using so much over 8gb on my iMac in typical use that I don't think 8gb will cut it

Yeah, I really think the extra $200 for 16GB is worth the investment. Call it the "better safe than sorry tax."

As for the refurb store, I know for a fact they had the base model with 16GB RAM available when I ordered my BTO Haswell on November 2nd. I remember it distinctly because I forwarded the link to a friend of mine who was waffling about buying one. That was just a couple of weeks ago, and I would expect them to pop up again in the near future even if it's a less common configuration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.