rMBP yellow tint

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aware, Dec 7, 2012.

1. aware macrumors member

Hi, do you think there is a yellow tint on the left sight of this pic?

Attached Files:

• SC.png
      SC.png
      File size:
      75.8 KB
      Views:
  2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

It's very very slight. I work in film production so I see things that maybe other people don't. Maybe it's my imagination, power of suggestion, but one should never be unhappy with a $2400 purchase of a machine touted for its revolutionary display

4. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Uh if you work in the film industry shouldn't you have a colorimeter (or similar)?

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Displays do have variation, and this isn't a photo of the OP's screen with a request for opinions. The image itself is made up of greyscale values. Is it supposed to poll rmbp users to see if they have yellow casts on the left side? If so it likely varies. I wouldn't suggest that seeing a slight cast on the left side on your screen means that others simply aren't seeing it. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

First colorimeters work best with a fully stable display that has been properly calibrated at the factory. If you're on a macbook pro, you're just writing a new profile, but you already this. I just typed it out for others. In the context here of perceiving a cast on one side or the other. You're still reliant on the condition of the hardware. They're still valuable as they track hardware gamut and long term shifts in gamut so as to maintain an accurate description of the individual device for color managed applications. It can also modify instructions with the goal of better hitting a particular target. I've just tried to encourage people against the idea of viewing a $100-200 colorimeter as a color panacea. If this was the case, you could match one of the old aluminum Cinema displays to a new one at equivalent contrast ratios across all colors. Forgot to mention the other issue is that it's measured at one point in the middle.

6. spb3 macrumors regular

hard to tell. i am looking at it on my rMBP as well and i have a slight tint on the right. so it all blurs into one color.

7. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

The ips displays are slightly yellow from acute viewing angles.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Okay that makes more sense.

9. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Yeah, I was freaked out when I got my rmbp and felt that it was a little yellow at the bottom of the screen. Then if I retilt the screen, it went away, and then I realized it worked that way from many different angles. Then I went to the store and tried it with 13" and 15" rmbp and they are all the same. I've changed the viewing angle I keep my screen at and don't notice it anymore.

10. aware thread starter macrumors member

Sharp eyes. Yes, there is a slight yellow tint on the left side. If you compare the top grey row with the bottom grey row, the color is also different.

Yes. This is not a photo but a screenshot of my screen. If the screen has yellow tint, will it show on the screenshot or do i need a photo? Can i calibrate for uneven yellow tint or should i return it if it is a samsung screen?

11. aware thread starter macrumors member

For those with samsung screen, do you notice a slight yellow hue/tint on the left side of the screen?

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yeah I've actually seen that effect at wider viewing angles on other displays.

No it won't. I looked at it first, then measured it in photoshop. The screenshot values are completely neutral. Screenshots don't measure for imperfections or things related to viewing angles. You cannot calibrate for uneven anything. It's not really calibrating anyway. You're generating a new profile. It gives a description of the display behavior and output instructions for the graphics card, both of which are tuned to values in the middle. Even if it went region by region, you couldn't resolve small things that way. No display can resolve issues with viewing angles. These are engineering limitations rather than things that can be resolved with a cheap colorimeter.

Samsung has been viewed as the less problematic one. If you look at this site, people consider the Samsung version superior due to the lack of potential image persistence issues. If you can't tolerate a Samsung display, your best choice would be to return it rather than exchange. Display technology isn't perfect, although it may improve by the next generation. Eizo, NEC, and Quato are some of the best. Even then they aren't perfect, although all three have methods of evening out backlights at the expense of some amount of contrast.

13. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

A screenshot will not display the color properties or convey the problems you are having with your display. A photograph would be required.

14. aware thread starter macrumors member

How about this?

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      576.4 KB
      Views:
  15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I can see it there. I don't know what they'll do or whether that's better or worse than average. Do you see that much gradual falloff toward the edges when viewing the display directly?

16. aware, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012

aware thread starter macrumors member

There is a gradual falloff of yellow tint on the right side of the screen(left side of the pic). When view directly, the white colour between the left and right is different. Do you think i should return it or are all samsung like that?