rMBP15... I just deleted boot camp partition. How much space?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hoodriverlife, Dec 25, 2013.

1. hoodriverlife macrumors newbie

Ive got a rMBP 2.6ghz 516ssd 16gb bought June 2012... I don't have much data at all on it yet. I use windows software for work, so set up boot camp. Well, I've hardly used it, and now want to refresh my windows based software (for the new versions), and start from scratch.

1. I just used boot camp to remove the window partition. Seems gone at boot up. But. Seems like 100gb is still being used on the OSX disk. I've got standard issue MBP software on OSX and just two programs (alias and sketchbook pro). Seem right for Preinstalled software and recovery partition? Or do I need to run some disk clean up utility before windows is completely gone?

2. This time around I think I might actually use the Parallels software I bought. (I haven't been happy this display resolution, mouse and touchpad operation when booting straight to windows). Do most folks install window first to the boot camp partition, and use parallels to access? Or forget boot camp and use parallels in OSX and install windows inside of OSX. I've read the notes on the Parallels website, and understand that there are a few compromises accessing boot camp such as no pause. Etc...

Thanks in advance.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

With that setup I'd expect ~15 GB used out of ~500 GB total available, using the OS's way of counting - which implies free space of 485 GB. Are you seeing less than this? Also, check Disk Utility and look at the partition map.

3. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Using Boot Camp Assistant to delete it should have done the trick. Are you using File Vault 2? Post the result from this command:

Code:
    sudo gpt -r -v show /dev/rdisk0
    If you highlight the pasted text in the forum, click on the # icon in the toolbar, it will format more legibly.