iPad rMini 32gb or Air 16gb

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Galanomaths, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Galanomaths macrumors newbie

Galanomaths

Hello guys this week i will buy a new iPad but i am in a lot of thinking becouse the money i will spent are a lot (see Greek economy :p ) and i dont want to buy something that i will regret.
    So iv' been reading many theards on the forums and watched a lot of comparison videos but yet i cant decide wich one.
    Pros for Air in my opinion are: very light,better screen colors and bigger screen
    Pros for rMini: easy to carry around, great specs almost as Air, great screen too(but colors)
    I am a multimedia user like gamer, a looooot of youtube, movies, anime, manga reading, general reading all this stuff and more witch i can do great on both iPads but i believe better on iPad Air becouse of the amazing screen it have.
    But now i have this problem.. rMini 32gb have same price (470 euros) as an Ipad Air 16gb.
    Worth to get more storage, lose 100hz of cpu and have not the best screen out there? Or get the beast Air but have less storage?
    Keep in mind that i will store only games in it, also forgive me for my grammar, English is my 3rd language
    Thanx in advance ! :)

2. Rleelfd7 macrumors newbie

I think with this it sounds like you need to find the happy medium between cost and storage needs. Being a gamer you would want more storage. 16 may be a little light. If you absolutely can't afford the 32 gb Air then I would opt for the 32 gb rMini. Have you considered a 32 gb refurbished ipad 4? This would accomplish the larger screen size(if this is a consideration for you) and your storage needs. It would also save you money.

3. Galanomaths thread starter macrumors newbie

Galanomaths

Thanx for the help but we dont have refurbished iPads in Greece...and there is no way to go for an older gen.
    Most people will get the next iPad when comes out but this wont happen for me so I am looking for long term tablet at least 2 years with it, cant afford buying new tablet every 7-8 months.
    I dont go to android tablets becouse i know in long term i wont get updates and the hardware will be outdated soon unlike the A7 in new gen iPads
    I will go today in the store to look them clocely both and maybe make up my mind.
    Edit: also the Air is 560+ euros and thats an extreme price for me.I am just an univercity student without job , I am lucky to get even one of both :D

4. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Get the 32GB mini and enjoy - the colors may not be as good as the Air, but you will regret not having enough space. And it is cheaper, as you say.

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

32GB is better than 16GB. Game app like Real Racing 3 and Infinity Blade 2 are huge file because of retina display. Anyway I think rMini with 32GB is perfect for you if you are concerned about money. :apple:

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Does Apple not allow returns over there?

Worth is subjective. You have to determine your priorities. You can't just ask others. Some value one option more. Some value the other option more.

7. j0nblayz macrumors member

j0nblayz

I bought both rMini 32gb and Air 16gb cuz I couldn't decide either. For me I couldn't really tell the color issue, they both looked amazing. I was favoring the rMini and thought I was gonna keep it, however after few days of using the rMini I was getting bit of eye strain.

Majority of the time, I held the mini pretty close to my eyes which was fine, but during meetings or at the office, I would have the mini propped up in front of me. Trying to read the screen from further distance really caused my eyes to strain. And I have perfect vision. Even watching movies/tv shows, my eyes would strain. I loved the rMini and if it wasn't for my eyes, I wouldeve kept it. I ended up returning both and getting a Air 32gb, best choice ever.

The air is still VERY light, my kids have the ipad 3 and the 2, and comparing the weight is like night and day. Air is so much lighter. Much easier to hold in one hand (as long as you get a light case). I ended up getting few cases trying to find the lightest case. Been using Moko smart case, but I think I gonna start using the smart cover with a wrap in the back.

Use the mini for a week and then return for air, see which one fits your lifestyle better.

Good luck!

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I currently have both devices. I can tell the color difference immediately. That doesn't mean that the rMini has a bad screen, on the contrary! It has a very high resolution display (in pip) and that makes reading even better than on an iPad Air.
    I really like the small form factor of the Mini, but many times I like to have a bigger screen, especially for surfing the Internet.
    16GB is really not going to make you happy. Apple should start with 32GB and not 16GB.
    If you can't afford a 32GB iPad Air, then get the 32Gb Retina Mini. The screen is very good (granted, the colors not as good as on the air, but the screen has better resolution), the device is really light and the small form factor makes you want to use it almost everywhere.

9. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

As the owner of a 16GB Air model, I am of the opinion that there are always ways around storage whereas you could never get the screen on the mini to be as good as the size and quality of the screen on the Air.
    But it's a matter of opinion, instead of considering those variables, it's a matter of savering the storage. Once you're done with a game/movie. Delete it.
    16GB is enough for most of us, I find that 32, 64 and 128 are for those who don't want to worry about running out of storage.

10. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

There is no official Apple subsidiary in Greece. Everything is being sold from resellers. I am not sure about their return policy.

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

I was at Best Buy this morning because yesterday I ordered a rMini then later found out about the $50 off on the Air. The rMini screen looks fabulous and the 100hz difference is like saying my Ferrari can go 0-60 in 3.2 sec. Oh yeah well my McLaren can go 0-60 in 3.15 sec.

The speed difference is negligible and most will not be able tell the difference. I was like you and thought the rMini is the better choice for me since I already have 2 full size iPads

12. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

After having both devices I decided to keep the Air. Somehow the Mini causes me eyestrain. I also can't forget that the Air has better color reproduction. The difference is really big to my eyes. Of course the Mini has a great size and offers a lot of advantages..