Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MxDaviD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Hello i am in a dilemma between this two devices.I would have one of them. for school and for watching movies.Which one should i take?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hello i am in a dilemma between this two devices.I would have one of them. for school and for watching movies.Which one should i take?

Which one? Pick the one that best suits your needs. Quite simply this is a personal preference and we cannot make up your mind. You'll see members here state their preference is for the Air for x reasons or the rMini for Y reasons.

First off, can you live within 32GB? If you have an iPhone how much storage do you have?

As for the size, do you want something that is easily carried and placed in a coat pocket, or use fairly easily with one hand? Then pick the rMini

If you want a larger display and a bit more performance? Then pick the Air

MxDaviD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Now i have an iPhone 5s 16gb ,i would carry around it every day but i think i will take Air 32gb because of the display.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The rMini is easier to carry around although the Air is quite light and smaller than the iPad 4. I purchased both and honestly, I prefer the larger screen.

MxDaviD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
acctualy i prefer the mini because of the form factor but i am worried that it would be to small for watching movies/series.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
The only reason I'd ever consider a mini over an air is that the mini can fit in my pockets, though not necessarily everyone's pockets.

Otherwise I vastly prefer the extra ~2" of screen space. 9.7" is already kind of too small for reading magazines, but it's a lot better than 8"!

Everything else, like web browsing, is easier with a bigger screen too.

If you're using these in place of a notebook or something though, I'd vastly rather have a notebook for most things, though the iPad's nice to use as a reader or looking stuff up in bed, etc.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i enjoy watching tv shows and movies on my mini over my full sized iPad. but if you can afford the air then id say go for it.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Ideally you should get an iPad which has more storage than your iPhone. For example I have a 32GB iPhone, so I bought a 64GB iPad Air and the combination of both feels great.

Larger iPad useful and necessary for media storage, you will use your iPad for watching movies, read books, playing games or messsaging sometimes. That way you can lift some burden off your iPhone and save some battery life. You can dedicate your iPhone to music only, or essential social and communication apps.

Although I wouldn't deny though, I feel my iPhone become less useful now I have the iPad. The phone only used for phone calls, messages, twitter, Path, music playback and barely nothing else. That's why I keep using my 4S and not upgrade yet. Not until a truly larger iPhone come along because I find myself stuck on the iPad most of the time.

MxDaviD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
thanks guys :) I think i really need an ipad because now my iPhone its all i use for twitter,fb,instagram,safari,tapatalk... And i would really like to have a bigger screen for that and i would love to have my iphone charged a little bit longer:)) But i am still deciding between rmini and air,i like the rmini a bit more but i am worried that it is to small for movies.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
thanks guys :) I think i really need an ipad because now my iPhone its all i use for twitter,fb,instagram,safari,tapatalk... And i would really like to have a bigger screen for that and i would love to have my iphone charged a little bit longer:)) But i am still deciding between rmini and air,i like the rmini a bit more but i am worried that it is to small for movies.

I don't understand why anyone would pick a smaller screen over a 2" larger one, save for the issue of being able to stick it in a pocket, but either will be solid for movies, so long as you're holding it close enough.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
I don't understand why anyone would pick a smaller screen over a 2" larger one, save for the issue of being able to stick it in a pocket, but either will be solid for movies, so long as you're holding it close enough.

Well many reasons. I for one like to type with my thumbs and not the split screen and the mini fits the bill perfectly. The mini is easier to hold in landscape view and navigate the screen. And its lighter. Easier to hold while lying in bed. And cheaper. Same CPU, GPU basically the same tablet. For less.

See I just gave you more than a few reasons. I can't see why someone would want a larger tablet for just a few inches of screen and pay $100 more for the same tablet, just smaller.

Many have people have many different reasons but to each their own. I personally like the Mini much better. You couldn't pay me to use a Air because I cannot use it like I want to. And no I don't stick it in my pocket either. Never even considered it. You would need some big pockets for that.

Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. ;)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
well many reasons. I for one like to type with my thumbs and not the split screen and the mini fits the bill perfectly. The mini is easier to hold in landscape view and navigate the screen. And its lighter. Easier to hold while lying in bed. And cheaper. Same cpu, gpu basically the same tablet. For less.

See i just gave you more than a few reasons. I can't see why someone would want a larger tablet for just a few inches of screen and pay $100 more for the same tablet, just smaller.

Many have people have many different reasons but to each their own. I personally like the mini much better. You couldn't pay me to use a air because i cannot use it like i want to. And no i don't stick it in my pocket either. Never even considered it. You would need some big pockets for that.

Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. ;)

+1

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I like the size of the iPad Air for viewing movies better. Its lighter than the iPad 4th gen but feels like a mini.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Initially I wanted the Retina Mini and my eyes were not even in the direction of the Air because it seemed too big in the store. But after realizing what I truly needed it for which was work, my work applications would be a pain to view on the mini since it's so small. I also thought about iPhone 6, as it's suppose to have a bigger screen than the 5. If I got the Mini it may end up being nearly redundant to have it along with an iPhone 6 so that's why I went with the Air. Very happy I did indeed. Even went back to the Apple store and took a second look and realize the Mini is just too "mini".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.