iPad mini rMini: 64gb Wifi-Only or 32gb Cellular?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by biturbomunkie, Oct 20, 2014.

?

rMini: 64gb Wifi-Only or 32gb Cellular?

1. 64gb Wifi-Only

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 32gb Cellular

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Another Tablet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

Purchased both Apple refurbs for $350/64gb wifi and $400/32gb cellular, will keep one and sell/return the other. Which one should I keep? Or should I get something else (< $400)?

The mini will be mostly used for school - logging into school's website and viewing/storing PDFs (biggest PDF is close to 800mb). I'm tired of lugging/pulling out my MBA for such minor tasks.

My phones (OnePlus 64gb and Nexus 5 32gb) tell me that 32gb should be more than sufficient, especially since I won't be taking pix/vids w/ the mini. But I read that HD apps are taking up a lot of space, and I hate it when my MBA runs out of space. :mad:

In terms of connectivity, I have school wifi, 5gb phone tethering, and a 30gb hotspot.

I'm leaning towards the 32gb cellular for GPS and convenience, but the 64gb seems to offer a better value!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wifi can be spotty at times, slow and you lack the security of cellular. I'd opt for the cellular model over the wifi.

3. profets macrumors 68040

I've always gone with the cellular version. Just felt too restricted at times when I was out and needed a connection.

Having said that, I'm tempted next time to go wifi only with how easy it is to tether to an iPhone with iOS 8. Basically as simple as looking for a wifi network. Of course, if you're not using an iPhone and if you're at school or out often and not wanting to drain the phone's battery then I'd go for cellular.

4. New Apple macrumors regular

no need for cellular (me, myself)
    never bought it and never regret it

but if u are living on the road and theres no trace of wifi, it's a must.

waiting for 64gb wifi only

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The only "value" is which model will help your productivity. Only you here understand your daily routine and whether you have a lot of "no connectivity" moments. Or if you hate carrying around your hotspot. If you like your hotspot and its always with you then no real reason for the cellular iPad.

Personally, I don't use public WiFi because of the security concerns and also don't own a hotspot. Wireless is not a whole lot safer, but it's still safer and harder to hijack. So I always get the cellular version. I have a WiFi-only mini too, but I never take it out of the house.

6. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

I'm always near wifi or going somewhere that has wifi.

Question: Is it possible to connect an iPad to an iPhone Cellular Hot Spot via wifi?