iPad mini rMini as Reader

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aminadab, Nov 25, 2013.

1. aminadab macrumors regular

I know some of you prefer the new retina mini as a reader. My question is whether it works well in this function when set on a table, that is, a few feet away from the face.

I'm heading to the Apple store to check it out for myself, but would like to hear from those of you who have had the tablet for a few days. Do any of you find the print too small when the device is placed 2 or more feet away from you?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It can if you set the font big enough but the genius of the mini is being able to hold it close w/o ending up w/ Carpal Syndrome. If you are mainly going to set it on a table you are better off w/ an Air IMHO. Given that Airs are nicely discounted now $ should not be a discussion factor.

3. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I haven't used a full size iPad since I sold my iPad 3 to buy the first gen mini. But it seems to me that if you want to read the iPad propped up a few feet away on a table, the smaller screen of the mini would not be ideal. The mini's main selling point over the Air is that its smaller size makes it so much nicer to hold for long periods, especially one handed. If you are envisioning your iPad spending most of its life propped up on a table rather than held in your hand, I would definitely go for the bigger screen.

Just out of curiosity, if you don't plan on holding it much, why are are you thinking about an iPad instead of a laptop with more power and an even bigger screen?

4. aminadab thread starter macrumors regular

Very helpful all around, thanks so much.

A good question. I have a 13" rMBP that works perfectly in this situation. I'm thinking of a mini for a much smaller, more portable option for when I want to leave the laptop behind and simply read and listen to music. A good portion of my library is electronic, and I spend a good portion of my time reading.

5. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Well the mini is definitely a great tablet. I think you will find that it is so light that you won't mind holding it for long periods to read (rather than having to prop it up or put it on a table). It's certainly why I love mine (even more now that it has retina). Good luck with your decision!

6. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I don't know, but I will say I'm a bit near sighted, and tend to hold reading material closer to my face whether using an Ipad or not. Maybe that's part of the reason I like the retina mini so much.

7. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

One way to look at it: an iPad Air at 24" away would be the same apparent "size" as a mini that's 19" away (using the screen size ratio). If you want the portability and/or any other feature the mini has to offer, pulling it a few inches closer for viewing may be a reasonable compromise.