iPad mini rMini - Bluish at the top

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TBONE72, Nov 13, 2013.

1. TBONE72 macrumors regular

Just got my retina mini today. I'm noticing a bluish tint at the top of the screen in portrait mode. Anyone else experiencing the same?

2. caodapengtj macrumors member

In other words, yellowish at the bottom right?
    There are 1,000 people complaining about it already, including me. You are not alone.

3. shadowyman macrumors member

shadowyman

Blue and yellow. Lol this just proves the way you look at things. People who think yellow tint is the norm finds blue tint abnormal and vice versa.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Guys, mine has a green tint. Is it an alien!? :eek:

5. mathi-vadhanan macrumors member

mathi-vadhanan

Retina mini has a warmer Whit balance overall compared against the air.
    I don't see any portion of the screen yellowish.

6. TBONE72 thread starter macrumors regular

The blue I'm seeing is just along the edge of the top of the screen, right in the middle where the time is displayed....almost like the back light is a little blue. It's best seen when viewing a white background such as Safari, Settings, Mail, etc.

7. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Noticing an orangish color in 34 pixels of the 3rd quadrant of the screen. Must be made by Sharp.

8. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Yes I had one that's like that - blue on top, yellow on bottom. It's not that noticeable unless you're reading text on white background which is when I noticed it. I went to the Apple store to see their samples, no they weren't like that. Then I went to Best Buy and requested an exchange. The replacement doesn't have the blue on top, but I still see a bit of yellow on the bottom. Colors seems a bit more vibrant too. Not something I'd notice unless I'm looking for it. I'm happy with it.

I posted pictures of it in another thread of my original rMini and the replacement. See my other post if you care to have a look.

9. TBONE72 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I did see that post. My screen looks pretty white for the most part. Colors aren't as vibrant as my iPhone5, like many others are reporting. I think I'm going to wait awhile before making a Genius Bar exchange.

10. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Yeah I noticed that on mine almost immediately but it's a very subtle difference. My guess is the backlight LEDs are located near the bottom and the top is just the dimmest point. In any case, the other 99% of my screen area is a beautiful, crisp, even white. There is no way I would risk returning this unit and getting one with a yellow screen or uneven backlighting as some are reporting.

11. TBONE72 thread starter macrumors regular

I feel the SAME way.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If it had a red tint it would be form mars.

13. sinar macrumors regular

I've just got my 16GB silver retina mini and i have a blue tint to the top of the screen as well (maybe about .5cm of the top of the screen in portrait mode), the screen seems quite neutral besides the blue tint at the top.

14. saber45 macrumors member

Yep, me too. Mine changes to a noticeable yellow colour in the bottom third.

15. TBONE72 thread starter macrumors regular

I had a DLXLM unit that I purchased from Apple on release day. The screen had blue edges along the top and right sides (some on the left as well) which was very apparent with any white iOS elements (mail, Safari, etc.). The screen also looked 'yellow-ish' along the bottom.

I finally made a Genius Bar appointment yesterday and they saw it right away. Since it was within the two week purchase period they exchanged for a new retail boxed iPad. This one is a F4KL and the screen is fantastic. Uniform white and no blue light bleed.

Here are the specs: Nice Name: iPad Mini Retina
    Family name:
    Group1: iPadMini
    Group2:
    Generation: 2
    Screen size: 7.9 inch
    Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
    Production year: 2013
    Production week: 47 (November)
    Model introduced: 2013
    Capacity: 32GB
    Memory - flavour: xx
    Factory: F4 (China, Shanghai - Pegatron-Protek)

16. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Where did you find those specs? I'd like to look mine up. Thanks!

17. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

One of the iPad Airs that I returned had a greenish tint overall.

18. TBONE72 thread starter macrumors regular

19. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Thank you, very interesting. Mine says week 46, which would have actually been last week. No wonder it shipped so fast, I just ordered Monday, the 25th, it shipped last night. 32g Verizon, slate gray.

20. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

My first mini retina from BB had the blue bleed at the top and right side so I got it swapped they gave me grief about it too saying they couldn't see it. The new one is good. The only thing I see is a slight bit of back light bleed in one corner which I'm not worried about. They both are from Foxconn with the CLXL serial and both screens look the same. Btw if anyone is near Garner NC theirs gonna be an open box mini retina with slight blue light bleed for sale soon at BB.

21. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

No blue color here. I seem to have gotten a very new Retina Mini from Best Buy.

Nice Name: iPad mini Retina (Gen-2 WiFi)
    Machine Model: iPad4,4
    Family name: A1489
    Group1: iPadMini
    Group2: WiFi
    Generation: 2
    CPU speed: 1.3GHz
    Screen size: 7.9 inch
    Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
    Colour: Space Gray
    Production year: 2013
    Production week: 48 (December)
    Model introduced: 2013
    Capacity: 16GB
    Memory - flavour: xx
    Factory: F4 (China, Shanghai - Pegatron-Protek)

22. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

no blue for me

just a very slight yellow tint on the bottom but nothing to worry about

i'll have it swapped if it goes stronger one day