iPad mini rMini screen interlace / pixel walk / scan lines / 'shimmering'

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrGimper, Feb 23, 2014.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

OK, now on my 3rd rMini with this issue.

** Warning... if you look for it and see it, you will not be able to "unsee" it! **

Most noticeable on full brightness and on blues / greys, and only in landscape mode.

For example, in the settings screen when an option in the left pane is selected and blue. Look at the blue (right at the edge), look away and look back.... see faint lines for a split second before your eyes adjust. Can also be visible when scrolling and then stopping.

Also visible on the dock at the left edge or right edge, again whilst in landscape. Same effect.

And... landscape keyboard on grey shift keys either side os the screen.

Anyone else? Or am I just very unlucky or just hyper-sensitive to this?

2. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

A friend's rMini exhibited it. Mine does not.

Looked similar to 'screen interlacing' seen on 5/5s

I suspect LG has something to do with it.

3. MaverickZH macrumors newbie

Yes, many iPhones have the same issue. I even experienced it on one iPad Air (strangely on the Air it just in the low right corner in portrait).

It's definitively not normal (even if some people will try to convince you it is) and it also doesn't affect every iPad/iPhone. If you can see it on your device and it bothers you, you should return/swap it.

P.S. Here you can read a lot about the issue: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1668140&highlight=iphone+interlaced But don't try the test screen, I don't think it will work on the rMini.

4. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Cheers

When I took the other one in for replacement, 2 genius' saw the issue and immediately replaced the device.

Seems worse on this one, so called up and another replacement is on its way to the store.

5. MaverickZH macrumors newbie

I'm still shocked that so many Apple devices are affected by this issue lately...

6. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Thankfully I haven't had it on my iPhone 4s, 5 or 5s, but did have it on several 4's.

What with having swapped previously for terrible yellow screens, I now have this damn flickering.

Hopefully the replacement unit is ok. If it's not, and the genius' have already acknowledge the fault on my previous one, can I get a refund? I bought my first one end of November from this store.

7. MaverickZH macrumors newbie

Well that depends on the kindness of your seller or the local laws. I was able to get a complete refund after 3.5 months without any replacement or repair because Apple's terms were written badly and therefore Swiss law gave me the option for a full refund.

8. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

I'm just wondering whether they'll give me a replacement retail box one if this further brown box replacement still has the fault. Not that a retail box one may be any better, but I'd expect it to have been built more recently.

9. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

OK so got the replacement today. All looked OK in-store.

Get home, use it in anger for 5 minutes and now has static/white noise flickering all over the screen, with the occasional white line down the whole screen. How on earth did this one get thru QA????

No impressed one bit. A 4th replacement on the way.

10. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Rang and spoke to a manager as was feeling fed up with having to take another brown-box replacement. They're ordering up a new retail boxed replacement for me, with new warranty etc. No guarantee that a retail box would be better, but so far my experience of brown-box replacements has been naff.

11. sonicblue83 macrumors member

I swaped 4 retail boxed iPad Airs lately. All of them were made in 2014. None of them had the interlaced issue but all of them had a very bad yellow tinted screen.

12. nfl46 macrumors 604

Lol, now I'm scared to look because I know I will keep looking at it over and over.

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

same here, if it doesn't bother me now I'm not going to look for it!

14. itjw macrumors 65816

Noooooo! The rule is: if you don't notice a problem, look until you do!

Haven't you ever bought an Apple product before????

Pfft!

:p

15. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Well I don't have to look for the issue on my current mini .. it's right there slapping me in the face. I seriously can't believe this one passed QA.. I put a blank black screen up and half the screen is flashing pixels with the odd complete line flashing just to bring some variety to things.

----------

I went thru 4 Airs, first had a hair under the screen and a horrid pink tint. The other 3 had horrendous yellowing. These were 128GB cellulars from the local Apple store. When I got the rMini I decided to "downgrade" the Air to a 64GB wifi only. Bought one from John Lewis on Black Friday, and returned the 128GB cellular to Apple. Thankfully the Air from John Lewis is spot on.

16. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Just to close this thread off... Received the replacement boxed rMini and it's pretty much perfect. If I wanted to be picky, there's a slight 3mm or so shadowing right at the top of the screen in portrait. However, considering there's no interlacing, this is a keeper.