iPad mini rMini upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ron7624, Apr 1, 2015.

1. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I was really wishing for the rMini 3 to follow the path of the iPad Air. I was really upset when it didn't get the ram everyone says is so needed.
    But, I'm still rockin the rMini 2, 32gb data model and carry it with me everywhere. It lives in my back pocket when it's not in my hands.
    I'm guessing I will get the upgrade I wanted in the fall this year.
    Do I really want the thinness of the current air? I get in my car and sit in it (for a few seconds) a couple of times a day. I have a clear skin on it but no case just so it fits in my pocket. This device is flawless to me. But my money is ready. Any of you other rMini fanatics share my same reservations?

2. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I'm waiting to get my first mini, but waiting until the next revision is out. I have a need for the scanner, but not at that cost vs the version 2. When then bump the specs again, I'll buy it.

3. daydotz macrumors member

A Mini with the power of the air 2 would be nice but I can't see it happening which is a shame I love my mini

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

IMO the mini 2 is the sweet spot of iPads right now.

I've had it since launch (back when it was the "retina") and it was great not having to sacrifice power for the smaller screen. The thickness doesn't bother me too much, I have it in a leather case anyway (the official one).

I actually don't find the lack of RAM a problem. if anything, I'd like to see the quality of the display improved next time around.

It's weird - I prefer larger phones but smaller tablets.

5. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

They did it once. I'm hoping they do it again.

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I love my iPad Mini 2 but I have to admit that since the iPhone 6 Plus came along, I don't carry my Mini with me around town as much as I had done in the past and at times when I've been going on a trip, the Mini has still stayed home while I've taken the iPad Air 2 with me.....

7. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

As a guy, I don't have anything that will let me carry a full size iPad or the larger iPhone with me. Having a purse would certainly allow you your preferences, but to me, the Plus would be awkward on my belt and the Air won't fit in my pocket.

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

I have the Mini 2 and 6 Plus but still bring the Mini out with me as books and textbooks on the 6 Plus isn't practical. Also when lying in bed watching videos I still go for the iPad over the iPhone.

I too hope the Mini 4 has equal specs to the iPad Air 3. Apple's 'update' with the iPad Mini 3 was insulting.

9. gregvet macrumors regular

gregvet

What trousers do you wear? I don't think I have ever had a back pocket big enough for an iPad mini?!

10. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Funny because there are people saying the 3 inch across 6 plus will not fit in their pockets. I thought maybe the trend was adult clothes with baby pockets or something.

I measured my regular fit jeans back (I have several pair) pocket across one time and it was 6" so the ipad mini would fit at 5.3" wide. I don't remember if I measured the height or how the 7.87" ipad mini would fit that way.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Seems like there is lost interest in the mini.

12. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

Sonoma is the brand. My wife buys them for me. It fits in all my jeans as well, they are regular jeans, not sure what mix of brands. I'm not a kid, so they aren't skinny jeans.
    I do have a pair or 2 of my slacks that it don't fit and I don't wear those. ;)

----------

I've kind of noticed that to my dismay. It's perfect for me and I know several other guys that like it for its portability as well.
    Women on the other hand always have a vehicle to carry their iPads in. My wife is never without her Air.

----------

Yup, you are a girl :eek: girls have purses - I don't carry one. :p

13. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Yup...... Now I can also carry smaller purses since I don't need one into which the iPad rMini will fit! LOL! I use my iPad rMini at home in bed -- it's perfect for that -- and around the house sometimes but I do find myself more often than not reaching for the iPad Air 2 instead; sometimes when the Mini is on the charger I've used the Air in bed, too, and the Air 2 is certainly much lighter and more comfortable to use there than its predecessors, the earlier iPads.

14. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

I think this is the case. When Apple released the 6 Plus and added just the TouchID toward the rMini.. that's was a sure sign they wasn't planning on doing much to the iPad Mini.

Obviously, the 6 Plus & iPad Mini are different size displays... but the fact they are somewhat close. I think Apple will continue having the iPad Mini around... similar to the iPod Touch.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I hope so as many people like this device. Just a lack of even rumors . . . .

16. gregvet macrumors regular

gregvet

Well I dont wear skinny jeans (as I am too old and fat for that by far), but I have never had trousers with any pocket big enough for an iPad mini.

I am beginning to wonder if we are talking about the same thing here?! Am I misunderstanding?

17. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

We are talking about the same device.
    The pants made by Sonoma have back pockets just large enough for the iPad mini. They are good quality pants about 60 bucks a pair but they are not dress pants. I have 4 pair and is what I wear if not in shorts lol. Most of my dress pants I cannot put the iPad mini in the back pocket.

18. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

My retina mini is a turd on iOS 8. iOS 9 needs to fix it or I may not buy another iPad again. It simply struggles with the UI in almost every scenario, it's frustrating as hell because it is ONLY A YEAR OLD.

19. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

You've got something going on. I would set it up as new to see if that improves your experience. My rMini is older than yours and works like a charm.

20. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I got my mini 2 in January of 2014, just a couple months after it was released. I have set it up as new 3 times and the issues are there every time. I don't know how you are missing it because my friend is having all the exact issues I'm having, except it is on his Air.

Want some examples? I demonstrated all the stutter issues with a few retina minis in the Apple Store, with my iPad mini 2, and with my friends Air 1. Spotlight stutters. Turning spotlight is horrendous, turning App Store is bad, especially when you are viewing a particular app, turning the power down screen is awful. Control center over a folder, over a keyboard, over spotlight search are all disastrous. Siri animation is not exactly smooth, it's worse when used everywhere outside of the Homescreen. Popping up of keyboard in apps, games, and Safari is bad, especially when the keyboard is split. Turning the screen with a keyboard is bad. Often when I close heavier apps with the pinch to close gesture, or if I just haven't used the gesture in awhile, it stutters as the apps are coming in... The list goes on. Every one of these is able to be demonstrated on ANY A7 iPad running iOS 8 with translucency enabled.

21. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

I sincerely hope Apple improve the specifications of the rMini 3 when it's released to market this Fall.

I've owned my rMini since December 2013 and it's been really great in watching TV on Demand and for browsing two free newspapers.

Despite iOS 8.1.3 offering the best performance thus far I do feel a lack of system optimisations are holding it back somewhat (despite a full Factory Restore). Maybe iOS 9 will help in this aspect, who knows?

I'd hazard a guess and say that'll we lose the Volume/Screen Orientation lock on the side a la iPad Air 2 to reduce the thinness of the device.

22. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

8.3 has fixed the rotation problem for me. I've never been bothered by the stutter. I've only noticed it rarely, and only when a post mentioned it just to see what it was about. To me, the form and function are very acceptable, especially since the rotation thing is gone.
    I started this thread wondering about the specs of the next rMini. It seems the predictions are now saying it will get the bumps the iPad Air 2 got. Here's for hoping.

23. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

What rotation problem? All the ones I spoke about in my huge paragraph of lag and stutter problems are still there for me in 8.3 and I did a complete DFU restore and set up as new. I was overall very disappointed with 8.3, everyone said it "breathed life" into their iPad air or iPad mini 2, but I see no difference. If the iPad mini 4 got the A8X I would be fine with that I think. It is far more future proof than the A7, that's for sure.

24. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I love my rMini 2. I bought it as a gift to myself two Christmases ago and it's the perfect size for me. I use it primarily for reading (I have since purchased over 100 books to read on it and it feels great knowing I could carry all my books into one device!). I also play games and watch movies/Netflix on it. I bought my little sister an iPad Air, and even while the bigger screen is nice, I still prefer my rMini as opposed to a regular sized iPad, though. I don't intend on upgrading my iPad until it no longer works. I spent a lot of money on it, for one, and I got the highest storage option available (128GB) so it's ideal to me. I'm glad that Apple created a smaller sized iPad because I wouldn't have purchased one if they hadn't. I definitely hope they keep the Mini alive for a long time because it's a great iPad!