iPad mini rMini Warranty Replacement Dilemma

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrGimper, Nov 29, 2013.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

OK, so I managed to snag a silver 128 cellular rMini from my local store on the 27th November. Noticed the yellowing straight away. Called my store on the 28th to ask if they had any in stock for a swap. Guy said they didn't and he didn't know when they would get more. He then offered a warranty replacement. Said that as it's so new, a warranty replacement would be a new device and not to worry. He said going down this process would mean a replacement would arrive in a couple of days instead of "whenever". He "faked" a genius appointment over the phone stating the yellowing on the screen as the defect, and issued the warranty replacement works order.

My question is... is there a downside to this?

Cheers.

2. okatomy macrumors newbie

i wouldn't go that way.

what if the warranty replacement has yellow screen too? how many times are they wiling to do a warranty replacement?

and if they won't replace it anymore, you can't even return it because the device don't match the serial number on the box anymore. that happened to forum members here.

3. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Did you buy it from an Apple Store? If so you're good, they'll refund your money if it comes down to that in the end. I had a similar experience with a iMac and they took care of me. Hopefully that won't be the case and you'll get an acceptable rMini and be a happy chappy. :)

4. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Ah OK. I was under the impression that because no refurbs actually exist yet, this would be a new retail boxed product and this process was just a way to requisition a replacement instead of just waiting for whenever one came in with normal stock

If it means a "brown box" replacement, and a subsequent misalignment between my device serial and retail box serial, I'll give it a miss.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Warranty replacements are delivered to the stores in a store-reusable white box. Even if the content of that box is a brand new (i.e. not refurbished) product, it doesn't come with a new retail box. :(

6. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

My replacement iPhone came this way and it was a brand new unit.

Regardless you'll get a new 'replacement' unit and you'll be able to return it if you're still not happy. If that's not good enough for you than you should return it.

7. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

As some people have posted that they are now receiving less than a week between order and delivery of rMini from apple online, I've ordered another.

I'll return the worst one.

8. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Not a bad plan at all. :)

9. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

That's what I would have done. Good luck with your 2nd.

10. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Ordered on Friday and now "Preparing for Dispatch"

Here's hoping.

11. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Wow and now dispatched.

12. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Just to close off this thread, the replacement I ordered from the online store arrived today. Much better! No yellow and the whites seem whiter and the greys are more grey, across the whole screen.