Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plinko1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
Hello, i'm an italian guy(sorry for my english), and i'm writing in this forum for the first time. I want to buy a macbook for university, but i'm undecided if wait that apple update the current line of macbook or buy now the macbook 13 with broadwell processor. My 2 questions are: i should to wait skylake? And how much time i must to wait the processor's update? Thanks for answers!

Robdogg3058

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2013
Hi

You will always be waiting for the next update to come out. I was in the same position and last Saturday I went to the store and bought a 13" rMBP i5/8GB/256GB and I am so happy with it. The thing is amazing. Just buy the machine that fits your ram and disk space needs and enjoy the machine for what it is. The machine is seriously quick and does everything I need for uni.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hello, i'm an italian guy(sorry for my english), and i'm writing in this forum for the first time. I want to buy a macbook for university, but i'm undecided if wait that apple update the current line of macbook or buy now the macbook 13 with broadwell processor. My 2 questions are: i should to wait skylake? And how much time i must to wait the processor's update? Thanks for answers!

Well the current intel timeline puts the skylake chips for the 13 inch rMBP to be released early 2016 , so sometime after that. To be honest it won't make that much difference unless you are running GPU intensive apps, and if you are you need the 15 inch really.

Plinko1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
Hi

You will always be waiting for the next update to come out. I was in the same position and last Saturday I went to the store and bought a 13" rMBP i5/8GB/256GB and I am so happy with it. The thing is amazing. Just buy the machine that fits your ram and disk space needs and enjoy the machine for what it is. The machine is seriously quick and does everything I need for uni.
You're right, but i don't want to spend 2000€ for a macbook that will become old in 2 months! (My ideal configuration is rMBP 13" with i7, 8gb ram and 256gb ssd).

Well the current intel timeline puts the skylake chips for the 13 inch rMBP to be released early 2016 , so sometime after that. To be honest it won't make that much difference unless you are running GPU intensive apps, and if you are you need the 15 inch really.
I want to buy a macbook because after more than 10 years of windows PC my father buy an iMac 21", and like it! I don't want to use intensive the gpu, i want to read pdf, mixing songs(hobby), use gimp(hobby), surf internet, sometimes play minecraft, mail, sync my iphone listen to music watch film and i want to start programming swift.
I know that skyline cpu is more powerful than broadwell of 5-10%, but the gpu? there will be a power up of 30-40%? and the battery? now the MBP 13 has a good autonomy(10 hours declared), with skylake? thank you so much for reply!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
You're right, but i don't want to spend 2000€ for a macbook that will become old in 2 months! (My ideal configuration is rMBP 13" with i7, 8gb ram and 256gb ssd).

I want to buy a macbook because after more than 10 years of windows PC my father buy an iMac 21", and like it! I don't want to use intensive the gpu, i want to read pdf, mixing songs(hobby), use gimp(hobby), surf internet, sometimes play minecraft, mail, sync my iphone listen to music watch film and i want to start programming swift.
I know that skyline cpu is more powerful than broadwell of 5-10%, but the gpu? there will be a power up of 30-40%? and the battery? now the MBP 13 has a good autonomy(10 hours declared), with skylake? thank you so much for reply!

Well if you believe intels hype it'll be amazing, if you don't (I don't, heard it all before and it was rubbish) then buy one now. For me it's still not worth waiting 6 months for what will be very little difference for your use case but thats a call only you can make, next year there'll only be a year to wait for canonlake it never ends.

Plinko1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2015
Well if you believe intels hype it'll be amazing, if you don't (I don't, heard it all before and it was rubbish) then buy one now. For me it's still not worth waiting 6 months for what will be very little difference for your use case but thats a call only you can make, next year there'll only be a year to wait for canonlake it never ends.
oh, you're right, thanks! for you at the same price the best configuration is a i5 2.7ghz processor with 16gb of ram or an i7 3.1ghz processor with 8gb of ram? Sincerely i prefer the i7, in my imac i have 8gb of ram, and i never used more than 4gb. i think that for the next 4-5 years 8 gb of ram is enough

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
oh, you're right, thanks! for you at the same price the best configuration is a i5 2.7ghz processor with 16gb of ram or an i7 3.1ghz processor with 8gb of ram? Sincerely i prefer the i7, in my imac i have 8gb of ram, and i never used more than 4gb. i think that for the next 4-5 years 8 gb of ram is enough

The i7 makes a big difference in the iMac as the desktop i5 doesn't have hyperthreading and the i7 does, however for the rMBP all the chips use have hyperthreading so it makes very little difference they really aren't worth the money in the rMBP.

Reactions: Plinko1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.