rMPB 15 inch Display Replacement

Klososky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions... My rMPB fell off of my bed tonight and although I thought it was a pretty soft drop the display cracked. I searched around online and it looks like Apple is charging a cool thousand to replace these. I consider myself a pro when it comes to DIY Mac repair, I have actually done it as a full time job so I have no doubt that I can swap out the display assembly with ease. My issue is with where to get a replacement... Ifixit has them for $999, and a couple other websites have them in $600's. Then I found laptopscreen.com which claims to have the assembly for $319. They seem to have a generally good reputation around the web with PC parts but I couldn't find any info that was Mac related.

So what's your opinion?

Thanks!

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions... My rMPB fell off of my bed tonight and although I thought it was a pretty soft drop the display cracked. I searched around online and it looks like Apple is charging a cool thousand to replace these. I consider myself a pro when it comes to DIY Mac repair, I have actually done it as a full time job so I have no doubt that I can swap out the display assembly with ease. My issue is with where to get a replacement... Ifixit has them for $999, and a couple other websites have them in $600's. Then I found laptopscreen.com which claims to have the assembly for $319. They seem to have a generally good reputation around the web with PC parts but I couldn't find any info that was Mac related.

So what's your opinion?

Thanks!
I'm sorry I can't really help you but here's a free bump.. I wanted to know, how did it fall off? Did it fall off on the screen or on the side?

Klososky

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
You know I think it was one of those fluke things. It fell off and hit right on the corner where MagSafe plug is. It was open at the time. I swear it has fallen off my bed much harder several times before and been fine. I have carpet too so it's not like it's falling onto a really hard surface.

Mr. RPG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
You know I think it was one of those fluke things. It fell off and hit right on the corner where MagSafe plug is. It was open at the time. I swear it has fallen off my bed much harder several times before and been fine. I have carpet too so it's not like it's falling onto a really hard surface.
So the bottom left corner cracked in the glass?

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
eBay usually has some screen assemblies for sale at good prices by reputable sellers.