rMPB 15 inch Display Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Klososky, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Klososky macrumors newbie

Klososky

Hey guys, just wanted to get some opinions... My rMPB fell off of my bed tonight and although I thought it was a pretty soft drop the display cracked. I searched around online and it looks like Apple is charging a cool thousand to replace these. I consider myself a pro when it comes to DIY Mac repair, I have actually done it as a full time job so I have no doubt that I can swap out the display assembly with ease. My issue is with where to get a replacement... Ifixit has them for $999, and a couple other websites have them in $600's. Then I found laptopscreen.com which claims to have the assembly for $319. They seem to have a generally good reputation around the web with PC parts but I couldn't find any info that was Mac related.

So what's your opinion?

Thanks!

2. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry I can't really help you but here's a free bump.. I wanted to know, how did it fall off? Did it fall off on the screen or on the side?

3. Klososky thread starter macrumors newbie

Klososky

You know I think it was one of those fluke things. It fell off and hit right on the corner where MagSafe plug is. It was open at the time. I swear it has fallen off my bed much harder several times before and been fine. I have carpet too so it's not like it's falling onto a really hard surface.

4. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

So the bottom left corner cracked in the glass?

5. Klososky thread starter macrumors newbie

Klososky

Yeah... I mean on the inside of the glass. There is no indication of damage until you turn the screen on.

6. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

eBay usually has some screen assemblies for sale at good prices by reputable sellers.

7. Klososky thread starter macrumors newbie

Klososky

Alright I am going to go ahead and grab one off ebay. Hopefully it works out!