rMPB 15 on Mavericks

DiscardedPacket

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2013
Stable enough for day to day use?
Yes, i'm running it on my main work machine.

I did a clean fresh install and manually transferred my files over from my backup. Apparently there are bugs / issues with upgrading, and it generally doesn't run as fast. No problem for me because i've been meaning to start fresh for a while now.

The only issue I have is that VMware fusion doesn't work in unity mode, so I just run it in windowed mode in its own space.

scalia4114

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2013
Chicago, IL
Yes, i'm running it on my main work machine.

I did a clean fresh install and manually transferred my files over from my backup. Apparently there are bugs / issues with upgrading, and it generally doesn't run as fast. No problem for me because i've been meaning to start fresh for a while now.

The only issue I have is that VMware fusion doesn't work in unity mode, so I just run it in windowed mode in its own space.
Nice. I think I should be ok then (fingers crossed). Or I could just load it on the 2011 Air I have for testing purposes. 2011 Air only has 2 G's, but I'd like to test the compression features. Thanks for the help.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Thanks for the update. I have not downloaded it yet but multiple sources said I should. I will be updating tonight and should let you know my thoughts on the beta.

DiscardedPacket

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2013
I've been running on integrated graphics all day, no perceptible lag at all.

Hardware limitation my arse.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
how does the developer program work? what happens when the beta is over are you forced to upgrade/pay for new os?

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Damn, I can't start clean, I need to upgrade. I guess I will wait for a build stable enough for an upgrade! :eek:

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Its lightning fast, no lag at all.

Get it.
ehhhh, well they definitely integrated the webkit fix back into safari and that is running way smooth...

other aspects of the ui haven't been as optimized for retina, and you can easily still see it if you have a bunch of safari windows open simultaneously when going to mission control...

i did a quick video with about 10 windows each on my early '13 2.7ghz/16gb/512gb 15" rMBP running 10.9 compared to my '11 13" mba i5 hd3k yadda...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kplNbldbQrg

so yes, there is some optimization going on and it is better, but who knows if they'll get around to optimizing everything for retina this round... i do think optimization will be key though as opposed to brute forcing it with better hardware... but who knows...

nickbarbs

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
keep in mind many apps need to be updated and will straight crash when you load them, so even if it is snappy you give up utility for now.

But yeah it is exciting finally to get smooth performance on the screen :)