rMPB 2012 Works Great!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleRocks2011, Oct 3, 2015.

?

How well is your Mac running?

1. Lightning Fast

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. A Little Slower Than When I First Bought It

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A Lot Slower Than When I First Bought It

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Very Slow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AppleRocks2011 macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

I have had my 2012 MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display since August 2012, and I couldn't be happier! I edit with Final Cut Pro X, create music with GarageBand, use Photoshop, and convert videos, and my MacBook handles it like a champ.

It seems that the SSD is what makes a major difference. El Capitan also helped make things even snappier! Based on how amazingly it's working, it'll be years before I'll need a replacement.

How does this compare to your experience? Is your Mac running well?

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I mostly share the same sentiment!

I have a maxed out 2012 rMBP. There were two things that started to fade on me... the battery and the screen. The battery wouldn't hold a charge, and the screen developed a bunch of stuck pixels. However, I had Applecare... Days before my warranty expired, I got a the battery and screen replaced! It almost feels like a new computer.

I totally agree that running El Capitan on this thing is a fantastic experience. I typically upgrade my computer every 18 to 24 months (sell the old one), but this machine still feels fantastic. That being said, I'm going to be upgrading to Skylake as soon as it's available... If you look at CPU benchmarks, I have the maxed out i7 version, it's interesting how little things have improved. YES the new machines are faster, but after 3 years, I'd expect a bigger jump. GPU tech has advanced at a faster rate.

Here are some things I don't love:
    • Intel GPUs have gotten REALLY good. This is one of the last machines with a pretty poor iGPU (but I do have the Radeon).
    • This is the last device in my house that runs 802.11N. Everything else has 802.11AC.
    • I want to be able to reasonably drive a 5K display... C'mon, Skylake!
    • Battery life has gotten much better on every rMBP since release. The 2012 model is the weakest.
    • Doesn't support newest Bluetooth standards
    • SSDs have gotten SO much faster, especially Apple's. This model still has a SATA connected SSD, instead of one using PCIe.

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I have an early 2013 15" rMBP, I got it at a great price a year ago and it still runs very well. It was like $1300 on Amazon for the almost maxed out model (everything but the 768GB SSD, has 512GB instead). I don't plan on replacing it until the AppleCare runs out in October 2016. :)

You could upgrade the AirPort card in the laptop! I did this to mine and it now runs on 802.11ac and I think it cost me like $20 to do so. Very easy to swap, and I believe the card also houses Bluetooth. I'm not sure how to tell if I upgraded the Bluetooth though, because I didn't compare Bluetooth specs before and after but I don't think these laptops use a separate board for it. I could definitely be wrong though.

4. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Where did you get it? Have a link by chance?

5. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah I almost did this about a year ago. At this point, though, Skylake is just around the corner, and my wallet is ready!