rMPB: buy now or wait till later?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crashwins, Apr 3, 2013.

  1. crashwins macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    #1
    I am currently without any Mac computer product as I had a great opportunity to sell my MBA to a family member for a good price. Now I'm wondering whether I should fork over the duckets for rMBP now or wait as I understand with Apple's product cycle they typically introduce new models in summer, no?

    Also, I'm no early adopter and I know the rMBP wasn't without its products -- seems like it was hit-or-miss with a lot of folks. Anyway, any feedback would be welcome. Thanks!
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    If you can wait then you'll be better off waiting. We should hopefully see Haswell equipped laptops late this summer.
     
  3. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    #3
    Late summer - so like August? Yeah, that's doable if I buy something used until then that I could just flip to break even. Are we thinking a processor upgrade or a design change too? (I guess the screen issues - LG vs Samsung - has be worried)
     
  4. F1 Fan macrumors regular

    F1 Fan

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    Intel's next generation "Haswell" processors are expected to come out in or around June. Chances are that it'll be a couple of months or so after that before the MBPs are updated.

    With the rMBP being refreshed less than 2 months ago, I suspect it'll be October / Novemeber before the next one.

    As for whether it's worth waiting or not... that's your call. When do you need to have it by? Could you cope if there are problems getting the Haswell rMBPs to market and you can't have one until early next year? Do you think the refresh will make that much difference to you? Etc...
     
  5. urkel macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    #5
    The reason I would wait is because the biggest (only?) drawback of the rMBP are the proprietary SSD storage options. 128GB/256GB standard is ridiculous for such high end machines and the prices they charge for 512/750GB are insane. So it isn't an unreasonable hope for next gen to bump the standard specs on the Pro a level so that 256/512 would be the base models.

    Personally, I learned my lesson on buying into the hype and now Im looking for bargains that I can use for a year and flip. Hardware has plateaud to the point that getting last years "old" machines at severely discounted prices makes more sense than buying this years machine that is almost exactly the same but only run a little bit faster. So if you want a temporary machine then look at Best Buy open box and find a good bargain to hold you down for now and then flip later. Who knows, you may actually keep it.
     
  6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #6
    Wait, and wait more... then wait more... wait at least 4 years when they have the kinks worked out and prices come down and they have 2TB SSDs and 64GB RAM with 9GHz CPUs.

    That's what Im doing. My perfectly capable 2002 Dell Laptop will work for the time being.
     
  7. jamezr macrumors G4

    jamezr

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Location:
    US
    #7
    Exactly....if you are waiting for the next big technology breakthrough then....you will never buy another computer because there will always be something better right around the corner.....
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    No, but given the fact that Haswell is only 2 months away why buy a new computer now if its not needed. If the OP can wait he'll be better off.
     
  9. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    #9
    Yes, I'm aware that technology will always be improving and one could wait forever for the *best thing. However, that doesn't mean there aren't bad times to buy a NEW computer -- ie, just below the release of an updated model. I never said I'm "waiting for the next technology breakthrough," but thanks for the hyperbole.

    I don't need a retina MB now. So, I will wait until Haswell is released if I'm going to buy something new. Further, the Retina is a new form factor, new hardware, so it's equally smart to wait for a second iteration on the cycle so some of those kinks are worked out IMO.
     
  10. F1 Fan macrumors regular

    F1 Fan

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #10
    Never mind the Haswell stuff... Why buy a new computer now if its not needed?
     
  11. jamezr macrumors G4

    jamezr

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Location:
    US
    #11
    two months til what? Until it is released? Then what? When will Apple have Macs with that chipset? Will there be early adopter problems? Maybe wait for the second revision? Oh...wait what is right around the corner
    Maybe we should wait.... something better is right around the corner.....

    http://www.extremetech.com/computing/141443-leaked-intel-roadmap-shows-the-end-of-socketed-cpus-the-end-of-upgradable-pc

    http://www.techknowlogists.com/worth-the-wait-intel-haswell-processors-releasing-in-june/

    But wait Skylake is coming too...

    http://www.overclock.net/t/1213788/intel-next-generations-features-news-rumors
     
  12. NowhereOutThere macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2012
    #12
    Why not buy now, and then if the new ones in September/October are significantly upgraded, flip your early 2013 rMBP for the new one? It would probably only cost you a small amount as the rMBPs would hold their value quite well, I suspect.
     
  13. JPizzzle macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    #13
    As people have echoed in the forum, Haswell's June release does not mean that Apple will have it then. I also would be very surprised if apple updated the retina so quickly following the spec numb-heck their website states "new" next to the model. Can't imagine them taking that off for a month and putting it back on. Don't forget, Haswell, is just a jump in the same line of processors (i7). Anyway, I'm in the same situation and decided to buy a 15" retina, which should arrive tomorrow.
     
  14. marksubishi macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto
    #14
    I'm sorta in the same situation as the TS -- I'm currently waiting on the back-to-school promos they have, but, part of me feels that if I wait that long (june/july?), I might as well see if there will be a refresher of the MBP line as a whole.


    I was ideally hoping to purchase a rMBP this may, but, with this small factors, it's leading me to want to wait it out..
     
  15. bill-p macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2011
    #15
    The February 2013 refresh was the second iteration. If problems aren't fixed by now, then there are less chances of them being fixed later down the road.

    And the "next iteration" actually always comes with its own kinks and quirks. For instance, the iPhone 4S was running hotter than the iPhone 4 while providing less battery life. And that was supposed to be a second iteration of the same design.
     
  16. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #16
    People just dont get it. While they waited and waited, they could have spent that time enjoying the current product and sell that product once the new comes out if need be. Instead they choose to wait and wait... then wait it out.
     
  17. BlueHusky macrumors member

    BlueHusky

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2013
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #17
    I totally agree with you.. I been buying the newest laptop each year but then I realized that buying and flipping a machine and looking for bargains is a better way to handle this. I am so surprise that you are in the same page as me in terms of buying and selling.:)

    FOR THE OP: Personally rMBP is an amazing computer. The only update that could be up is the graphics + slight CPU + perhaps battery? and this is only if the rumors are true.

    I just bought a rMBP 13" last week but I bought it at a bargain $1100 so I think you should check craigslist for used.

    BUY NOW. NO USE STRESSING MONTHS
     
  18. Serban Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #18
    Here the thing. Everyone who wants and don't need right now a laptop he should wait for the new hardware upgrade. We getting closer of mid of 2013 so..
     
  19. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #19
    I love your reply. Getting tired of the negativity on this forum. I'm like you, I need a new computer and it's going to be a 15" retina. But I don't want a first generation anything and seeing that the new ones are just a few short months away, it makes a lot of sense to wait. It's not like I will then say "Oh, but in 10 years...."
     
  20. pwfletcher macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 2, 2002
  21. bill-p macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2011
    #21
    But... did you know they just refreshed the rMBP 2 months ago? (barely more than 1 month to be more precise)

    So whatever is available now is no longer "first generation" by any definition of the word.
     
  22. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #22
    If you mean a major design change, that is extremely unlikely. There might be smaller internal adjustments. I don't think cpu performance will see a huge jump. Intel seems focused on gpus and power management. I would also be amazed if the use of LG went away. They are the largest supplier of IPS panels out there. You are anticipating unlikely things.
     
  23. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

    PatriotInvasion

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #23
    All of these people blabbing about Haswell will give way to people blabbing about Broadwell. After that people will be waiting for Skylake and then after that people will be holding out for Skymount. It never ends.

    Meanwhile, I've been enjoying a 13" rMBP since it was released in October. No IR, no issues with Ivy Bridge...just pure Retina bliss:D:apple:;)
     
  24. tillsbury macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    #24
    So get a refurb now at a good price. It'll be a while before the next models overtake those...
     
  25. Bokes macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2008
    #25
    I sold my MBA several weeks ago for a great price.
    I took the $$ and with an extra $300 I picked up a brand rMBP 13inch.
    Been using and loving it ever since.
    The screen is fantastic and it's slightly faster.
    Not to mention I never cared for the silver MBA bezel.

    Just get it.
    Intel is having trouble with Haswell.
    Might not see new pros until late August/Sept.
    I doubt it will be significantly better.
     

Share This Page