rMPB Graphics Switching Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c1phr, Nov 28, 2013.

1. c1phr macrumors 6502

Has anyone been able to use gfxcardstatus to force integrated graphics on the new 15" rMBP and have it stay that way, without an app overriding it?

I used to be able to do this a long time ago on my 2010 MBP, and I could even go so far as to force games to use the integrated GPU, but the functionality broke with an OSX update somewhere along the way, and applications make the final decision as to what GPU they want now. Unfortunately, Mavericks broke this even more, and text editors like Sublime Text are even forcing the dGPU, which is an issue when I'm trying to extend battery life to last through class (it forced me to take up vim).

If anyone has a new rMBP with gfxcardstatus installed, could you please try setting it to integrated only and trying to run an application that wants the dGPU? Even if you don't have a game installed, even Photoshop or trying to watch an HD YouTube video should work.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I've got a 2012 15" rMBP running Mavericks and the force-integrated works just fine. I just tried launching sublime text and Minecraft and it stayed on integrated happily.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Works on my new 15" 2013 rmbp with 750m

4. c1phr thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, that's exactly the kind of behavior I was hoping to have back. It's really annoying to have the dGPU turn on for no reason on my 2010.

Cool, thanks for letting me know! I suspect that the Iris Pro will be powerful enough for most of what I need, but I want to have the dGPU around for the occasion that I do feel like gaming.