Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ump001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
hi,

looking to buy rMPB soon (2.6/512/16gb). My daily work involves network support so need to play and test with many VM's and use GNS3 for cisco studies. Wondering if anyone out there has had a chance to use GNS3 on the rMPB and wondering how they find it?

How are VM's performing, specifically multiple VM's running at the same time.
How does GNS3 perform in general, does the app itself 'look ok' on the screen?

Also have any decent terminal apps been updated to Retina standard?

I know i wont be running it at full load all the time but would like to know how it handles in general. Many of the reviews seem to concentrate on Web designers, photo/video editors etc.

Thanks!

heresjohnny

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2010
Have not used GSN3, but VMWare is working fine for me. Of course everything is scaled, and that will almost certainly be true of GSN3 VM's as well. It doesn't look terrible, but I don't like it. (Edit - I mean all virtual machines are scaled, at least under VMWare.)

Virtual Machines run as well as a person might expect on the rMBP's hardware - excellent, assuming you have enough RAM for as many as you'd like to run.

Regarding terminal apps - iTerm2 looks great on the rMBP, as does Apples "Terminal" if your into it. I'd expect iTerm (original) looks good as well, but haven't tested.

It's a fast machine with a nice display. The fluidity of the UI is not great, but tolerable. I'd say a bit worse than Snow Leopards UI performance on a 2008 17" - very usable but can be annoying. (I'm picky though, and didn't really find the OSX UI to be totally fluid until about 2011 era MBP's.

The display is great for text - to be honest I don't understand why everyone is reviewing it in regards to graphical purposes - just like the "New Ipad", text is where this display really shines.

That said, the audio quality is worse than my 2011 17" and the loss of 1.6" of screen space is very noticeable to me. (Note that I run the rMBP @ the virtual 1920x1200 options - anything less is definitely annoying to me.)

Although I really like the new rMBP... My 17" isn't gone yet.

Last edited:

ump001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks, but there is a native Mac version also, so was interested on how this looks/runs.

Also is iTerm2 the only decent terminal app available?

ump001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Well there seem to be quite a few terminal apps in Ubuntu also, guessing i should just try and configure iTerm2 to my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.