Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CiBoys

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
San Francisco
i have many video files thats .rmvb format, can anyone tell my how i can convert the format so that i can put it on and DVD or VCD, perhaps .mov .mpeg. mpeg4?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
At least on a Mac, the only way I know of is to use a capture utility to capture the video then recompress it. There may be some higher end compression software that can work with Real files, but I don't know of any and it would probably be rather expensive.

CiBoys

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
San Francisco
i guess the only way to to record it to my DV camera via video output, this what i have been doing, but i was hopping for a faster way. Sigh..... :(

anaxamander

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2005
The only *free* way to do it is by using something based on mencoder. I know in darwinports, a working variant exists, but from what I remember ffmpegX can also do it if you install the reallibs. Those reallibs are what enable the conversion, and they have to be where mencoder expects them to be.

mencoder is best to converting into avi:
Code:
mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=0:br=96 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=900 -ffourcc xvid /path/REALmedia.rm -o /path/OUTPUT.avi
...although that command may rely on mencoder being built against an installed lame - I forget what variants I built it with (could have been all of them).

dylans

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2006
Out of necessity... I shall bump this ancient thread :)

How in the **** do:
1. Convert RMVB (with SRT support) files to any OSX supporting player.
2. Play RMVB files on any player in OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.