Road trip planning software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dtrimble, Mar 15, 2008.

1. dtrimble macrumors member

So I've spent the last few hours tediously finding the precise locations of various stops along the USA's Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica. Since the freeway doesn't entirely exist anymore, I'm recreating it from known reference points, old and new photographs, etc.

Problem is...I couldn't find any decent road trip planning software for Mac OS...so I tediously did this by creating landmark points in Google Earth.

I'm no where near done at this point, and wouldn't mind starting all over if I can find decent software for planning travel.

Any suggestions? I do have a 2 year old version of Microsoft Streets & Trips for Windows tucked into storage somewhere. I may decide to use it through Parallels, but I would greatly prefer to find something available for the Mac.

Any suggestions?

Dan

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. dtrimble thread starter macrumors member

Well, for that matter, if I'm already using Google Earth I could simply use maps.google.com, which is a bit more robust than Mapquest.

I guess what I"m looking for are features more explicitly tailored to travel planning than just geographic reference, like integrated cost estimators, updates to gas and alternative routes based on traffic patterns or other changes, support for GPS, etc.

Google Maps would be great except it gets to be PAINFULLY slow when you have a lot of waypoints in place--and I'm running on a 2.4 Ghz MBP with 3GB. I will probably need about 300-400 total.

I also can't use Google Maps without an internet connection. I have a Verizon aircard, but in the middle of nowhere, it frequently gets weak signals, if any at all.

Google Earth works ok, but doesn't handle driving directions between waypoints very effectively.

Dan

4. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

TrailRunner?

It's designed for running, but it might suit your needs.

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I wish Trimble outdoors would develop their apps for the iPhone. I assume from your name you work there :)

Nav apps are hard for the mac, i also use Google. Garmin has some decent stuff to go along with their receivers but its more targeted at hiking, outdoors etc. Its also still in beta.

6. dtrimble thread starter macrumors member

LOL. Nope, I don't. I recall even applying for a job there a long time ago, and never got a call back!

I hear their software is quite good.

dt

7. dtrimble thread starter macrumors member

Regrettably, no. I tried it out a few weeks ago. Really nice software though, and great for hikers and runners.

dt

8. iamkay macrumors newbie

i understand this thread is quite old, but i thought id add my piece incase another stumbles across this thread with the same question as dtrimble here.
    i came across the closest thing your going to get to what you where asking for, its an app called knapsack
    its got a nice GUi good features, built in map and everything. plus a diary planner and the ability to drop pins on the map and add details to the pinned location, even photos aswell.
    so, if your still on the road mate, you should try this out, im going to..

kay

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/27111/knapsack

9. drthurston macrumors newbie

Also looking

Surprised there is no software like MS Streets and Trips on the MAC. Trying to make a clean break from the PC and finding a few gaps like this and no Calendar Creator for business use. Still love what I've seen so far.

Tim

10. dtrimble thread starter macrumors member

Tim,

It's worth making the transition from PC to Mac, but for some users, it will never be a "clean" break in the sense that you can summarily and entirely banish the usage of a PC. Of course, every user is different, and I don't know what your requirements or usage needs are. In my case, there were a few things that I couldn't get by without, simply because of the nature of my work.

Trip planning software is one of them. For business, I've become accustomed to using Microsoft MapPoint, which hasn't even a remotely distant cousin on the Mac. There's simply nothing available to do what it does (e.g. beyond trip planning, integrating data sources for purposes of defining anything from sales territories to population counts by county).

One day I may write up a new software app for the Mac that will do this kind of stuff. But that's not a trivial undertaking, and I haven't the time to do it right now.

At any rate, it's WELL, WELL, WELL worth making the switch to the Mac. Even if for no reason other than it will run two computers in one. I have Windows XP running on my MacBook Pro, and I keep it around for MapPoint, occasional Salesforce/Outlook integration stuff, and a handful of other things. Plus, as a backup in case anything else creeps up that I can't find something comparable for on the mac.

11. JohnnaCal macrumors newbie

Any Updates?

I too am looking for a more sophisticated trip planning application for Apple Mac.

I tried Knapsack but its not what I am looking for and the application is very difficult to move around.

I was hoping for:

Trip PLanning to and from defined location
    Travel Time
    Gas Consumption and Estimated Costs
    Ability to select hotels
    A VERY advanced feature for attractions and sightseeing (with pictures)
    :D

12. appleuser318 macrumors newbie

Travel Program for OSX

This program is a little dated and will be surprise if it is still being published
    but it is the nearest thing to "MS Streets and Trips".

Route 66 Route USA For the Mac.
    Listed at Amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/Route-66-USA-2004-Mac/dp/B00013MS7O

I use it on my MacBook Pro when i cant get online. It works in a pinch.

Good Luck

13. Dr.A macrumors newbie

Wishful thinking

Sure would be nice if a competitor could match Streets/Trips planning ability, or if they would at least port a version to Mac. I look for something like this every couple of months and am losing hope.:apple:

14. dtrimble thread starter macrumors member

Tim, what kind of Calendar Creator do you need? I've seen some Mac options for such, but if you can narrow down more specifically the kind or functions you require, I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Fortunately, the gap between PC and Mac has MASSIVELY narrowed over the last 5-6 years, but you're right--there's still a few left over waiting for someone to tap into it...

15. 10smom macrumors regular

10smom

routebuddy?

has anyone tried routebuddy? NOt sure if it is just a glorified google map that you pay for or there is more to it than I am seeing?

16. dtrimble thread starter macrumors member

Yep, and it's nothing close to Google Maps. It seems primarily designed for GPS waypoint recording rather than route planning. The biggest problem with RouteBuddy, besides a mildly clunky interface, is that it has a very poor demo that consists of SMALL maps of the Yosemite Valley and Santa Fe, New Mexico. As a consequence, I couldn't try out it's route planning capabilities (meaning directions, hotels, waypoints, and so on from one place to another) -- even if it appeared the software has that functionality. (It does not appear to.) I also couldn't find anything but a topographical map of Yosemite and Santa Fe within the demo software.

If I can't try out it's full capabilities, there's no way I can justify shelling out $100 for a product that doesn't appear to have the functionality to begin with. And it may well, but if you're going to offer a demo, you'd think they'd offer...well...a real demo!

That said, it's closer than anyone else has come since the Route 66 software died in 2004.

I actually wouldn't mind creating a route planning product for the Mac. The problem is the major companies that provide the map data itself (e.g. NAVTEQ, TeleAtlas, etc.) do not offer an API designed for Mac applications. If I can find a way across that barrier, the rest of a Mac application would be fairly straight-forward...

17. kylekai macrumors member

This is what you want

It's called Road Trip Planner, and it's at the Mac App Store: Road Trip Planner.