Road Trip with a doggie

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by peapody, Apr 20, 2015.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Hi Guys!

So I am preparing for a cross country trip from Baltimore, MD to San Francisco California. I am moving back home to be with my Husband who got a job in the bay area. I have been out on the east coast for 7 years now. Now looking to move back to be closer to family. =)

Wanted to see if you guys had any good advice...especially about roadtripping with a pet. I have a jack russell/dachshund mix - very sweet steady girl. I also have small coupe hatchback (Acura RSX). How should she be transported for such a long distance? I have seen pet barriers where dogs are placed in the cargo area of SUVs. My car is similar to that, and was wondering if it is safe to let her roam back there without restraint?

Thoughts?

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

They make dog harnesses with a seatbelt buckle so you can clip them in I would maybe consider one of those for such a long trip. Also I think your RSX has a back seat. Might be the best place. If not you could probably buckle her in the front seat so she can be near you and more relaxed and not too stressed.

3. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Have road-tripped with two dogs, but not nearly as long distance as you will be.

I would recommend something like this.

I also have the 'cage' system that you mentioned that partitions the cargo area into space for the dog... but I prefer that for shorter trips. A soft-sided crate similar to what I linked with a metal frame provides a measure of safety and security while at the same controlling for weight. I found the crate system advantageous on two fronts in particular: 1) safety if you have to make sudden movements with your car or get into an accident, and 2) gives the dog a space of their own that can be easily transported into a motel/hotel room. Also helps contain accidents and makes their clean up a bit easier (versus an accident on your car's upholstery or carpet).

Even if you opt for a seat restraint system, I would still consider investing in a soft-sided crate if only for the convenience of being able to crate your dog in a motel/hotel room along the way. Also would come in handy if you plan on camping along the way because collars can be slipped or leashes can come unsecured.

4. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Wow thank you both so much!

My dog struggles to sit in my cars bucket seats. She loses her balance and cannot seem to get comfortable. We found she rather sits on the floor of the backseat but there is so little room there.

@stonyc Can you provide a link to that soft crate? I have a travel crate for her right now but maybe I should give that away for a soft crate instead? I want her to be comfortable since its such a long trip in a small car.

5. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

We had this soft crate for our dachshund when he was a puppy. It was nice, had a metal frame that folded and the canvas on the outside. It was light and had a fuzzy bottom.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Life-H2KHMD-Khaki-360-Degrees-Vista-Folding-Soft-Crate-MD/33373323

6. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member