Road Warrior in Need of Access

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PALong3, May 7, 2014.

1. PALong3 macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded my old MacBook Pro to a newer MacBook Pro, but in doing so I downgraded the amount of storage I have on my system. I maintain a lot of information on my hard drive in my existing system, a lot which I will probably never access. However, I am hesitant to give it up and wonder if there is a system or approach recommended to access a file, if I need it, while on the road without the delays I experience when connecting to my company's VPN. I've explored the MyCloud, AirPort Extreme, etc…just didn't know what would work the best for my needs. I have about 300GB of data on my existing system.

Appreciate the advice!

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Dump it all on something like a WD Passport and just keep it stashed in your bag.

3. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I'd actually recommend TWO copies of it, one at home and one in your bag. Use the one in your bag while traveling and then when you get home back it up to the home drive. Drives have a tendency of failing; especially one you carry around.

This seems to be the easiest, cheapest, and fastest way to have access to your data wherever you go.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

There is also the option to put in a larger SSD up to 960GB if it is a 2012 or early 2013 rMBP with a SATA interface for the SSD.

Even if you do increase the internal SSD size, you sit need to archive the data to at least one external drives, and I would copy it to the company's servers as well.

5. PALong3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm good with carrying around the drive - what is the easiest way to keep the two drives 'synced' when I get back home?

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

There are several ways. I'll report happiness with the app Chronosync, which can (if instructed to) go back-and-forth between the two drives until they match.

It can also do a "blind backup," but it sounds as though that's not what you want. (In blind backup, if there are files on the target disk that aren't on the source disk, they stay there.)

If you only want to backup new files from one disk to another, then you could use SuperDuper! or CCC. When I don't care about synching, I use SuperDuper!, which works well for me. Lots of people love CCC. Your choice.