Road Warrior needs advice...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ScottFitz, May 2, 2008.

1. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Upper end black MacBook or MacBook Air.

5lbs vrs 3 lbs ... not a huge deal

same size screen... air has a "better" screen

battery life?

Here's what I'm up against. My company is going to web-based customer management set up and I'm getting a mac. Price really isn't an issue. I want to keep the weight down as much as possible, but 3 versus 5 ins't a huge deal. Screen size of 13.3 is perfect.

My only apps for this baby is customer management, ocasional powerpoint, web surfing, email. I will rarely, if ever, need a disk drive. Hard drive space is important though, so the Blackbook looks better on that one. I hate running out of room.

I'm worried about the newness of the Air, the reported "issues" of fanspeed, core shut downs and what not. Just enough bumps that I don't want to be a beta tester for the new product.

Blackbook for me?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm the owner of the new BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB, and just recently sold my MBA 1.6/80GB, so maybe I can shed some light.

The BlackBook is actually a bit heavier than it seems on the box, and I would put the weight at about 6-7+lbs with all the wires, cables and plugs. Yes, the 250GB hard drive was a huge difference for me and I still have 190GB of free space. Definitely runs cooler than the MBA, and the fan issues with the MBA were distracting to say the least. Working with the MBA Superdrive was time consuming and difficult if I had other USB devices hooked-up; and the remote drive was an option that I should have taken advantage of, but didn't. If I had it to do all over again, I would have gone with top-of-the-line MBA and not worried about hard drive space. But, then again, costs would have put me in another tax bracket.

As you can tell by my SIG, I've remained loyal to my BlackBook. PM me if you have other questions. :cool:

3. macdot macrumors 6502

I would go to the Apple Store and use each of them. I like the Air, but certainly wouldn't buy it as my only or main computer.

4. ScottFitz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. I've got an iMac on my office desk and my company has given my an IBM laptop that I just dont' care for. It's got this huge extended battery hanging out the back end. Heavy as sin.

I travel extensively. macbook air is very attractive to what I need it for. Just worried about the "issues" others are reporting. It'm not one to buy a brand new model. I normally let others work out the bugs and then I buy 2nd gen.

Good advice above. I'll head down to my local apple corp and size them up, but with my IBM in tow for comparisons sake.